Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 1402 Could not open key - trying to install Net framework 2

• Please log in to reply

Perplexed1

Perplexed1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all

My second post of the night.

I have a HP Media Centre PC (Pavilion a1550a) running XP with SP3. One of my games which I have run successfully in the past has stopped running. I need Net Framework 2 but when I download and run it, I get the following error:
"Error 1402 Could not open key HKEY_local_machine\softward\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls
Verify that you have sufficient access to that key". It then rolls the installation back.

I do have administrator access and checked that again tonight. I've looked at this in Computer Management and see in the Groups there is an Administrator and a HP Administrator. I think I'm the second of these, but in the properties it notes that both have complete and unrestricted access to the computer/domain.

I've also checked on the Microsoft site and they suggested that an issue might be malware etc and I ran the tool they suggested but it didn't find any issues.

I'd appreciate advice on sorting this problem out.

Thanks for advice.

Anne

Advertisements