Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Online Tech garage sale

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Anybody know of some good tech sites for selling old used tech gear? I have tried Craigslist already and hanv't had much luck. I have a high end gaming laptop with a quad core cpu that I need to get rid of.

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ebay?

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

ebay?

lol, ya im looking into that one right now. I just thought there might actually be a cool site just for tech releated gear.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I've had overwhelming success putting used systems together and selling them on Craigslist. But I've noticed most users on there over price there stuff dramatically. They base the price off of what they paid for it 4 years ago instead of pricing it as what other "side businesses" are selling stuff for on there or what people that just want to get rid of something sell it for. (Which is dirt cheap usually)

For example, the going rate for a P4 2.8ghz Hyper-Threading, 512mb-1gb Ram, 40-80gb hard drive, xp pro, cd burner is about $120 in my area. Thats just for the tower, 17 LCD is going for about $50.

I've seen people list there personal system (same specs as above) for $300-$400, sometimes more... because they paid $1500 for that computer 5 or 6 years ago. So they think they are really putting out a bargain, but they are not.

As a "Craiglister" the advice I would give anyone that is having a hard time selling something is to lower the price. Do a search for things being sold just like yours and see what the rate for such an item is. If you want to sell quickly and everyone else has it listed at i.e. $200, then list yours ad $180 or $170, it will sell in a heart beat.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 28 October 2009 - 11:38 AM.