Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Vista BSoDs

• Please log in to reply

xMP44x

xMP44x

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
For some reason, my PC has had two BSoD errors in the past 24 hours. It's a Windows Vista machine, running Service Pack 1. I'm running an anti malware scan now (MalwareBytes). I have patched the file required to apply themes, but that was several weeks ago. I didn't get the error code for either BSoD, as they caught me off guard.

The only files I remember downloading were two themes: Q's Lightwave Aero, and AeroVG. Both files came from deviantART, and are themes for Vista. I was running the AeroVG theme when the errors happened. Can a theme cause a Blue Screen of Death? Also, should I try re-applying the skin and seeing if it causes another error?

Thanks for any help, as I have no idea what caused this error. Here's some information about my system as well, in case it helps:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (32 Bit)
3GB RAM
2.00GHz Intel T5750 Processor

The two themes I downloaded are linked below as well, in case you wish to check them out yourself, or you want to see what I downloaded:

Lightwave Aero: http://webtrance.dev...-Aero-128412924
AeroVG: http://vishal-gupta....-Vista-71036512

Once again, thanks for any help with this, as I liked the AeroVG theme a lot.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

xMP44x

xMP44x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okay... here they are.

==================================================
Dump File : Mini102709-02.dmp
Crash Time : 27/10/2009 17:37:12
Bug Check String : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000008e
Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
Parameter 2 : 0x823167a3
Parameter 3 : 0xaf72cb00
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : TfSysMon.sys
Caused By Address : TfSysMon.sys+d144
File Description : ThreatFire System Monitor
Product Name : ThreatFire
Company : PC Tools
File Version : 4.9.9.23
Processor : 32-bit

Dump File : Mini102709-01.dmp
Crash Time : 27/10/2009 12:02:00
Bug Check String : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000008e
Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
Parameter 2 : 0x822ea7a3
Parameter 3 : 0xaf142b00
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : TfSysMon.sys
Caused By Address : TfSysMon.sys+d144
File Description : ThreatFire System Monitor
Product Name : ThreatFire
Company : PC Tools
File Version : 4.9.9.23
Processor : 32-bit

That looks like a really useful program as well. Thanks for letting me know about it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Across all ThreatExpert reports, the file "tfsysmon.sys" has never been identified as a threat.

This information is from this site HERE
That being the case it does appear your initial suspicions were correct about the themes being the cause.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

xMP44x

xMP44x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Alright. I'm running MalwareBytes full scan. I've been thinking about the ThreatFire thing. I do remember it coming up that ThreatFire had stopped working... could it be that ThreatFire has simply bugged out on me?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could be but let the Malware Techs get you verified cleaned and then hopefully the system will be working correctly then.

xMP44x

xMP44x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Alright. I have the log from MalwareBytes. I didn't do the complete scan - I let it run for 20 minutes and figured by then it should have found anything wrong. Plus, my AVG scanned my computer a couple of hours ago, and found nothing. I'll post it in the Malware forum now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have all the logs required by the tutorial to post?
There is 3 I believe needed and this will allow the Tech to do a much better checking of your system. There will most likely be more scans they will do so be patient as they are very busy in that forum.