Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will not boot properly and safe mode BSOD

• Please log in to reply

cyneea

cyneea

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
So hello there,
I was helped by a wonderful member mpascal for the last week trying to resolve some virus issues with my computer. He did a great job, but I am left with a far more serious problem. My computer will shut off many times when attempting to boot. It typically takes 10 times before I can get to my desktop and even then it turns off!! :) My computer even shuts off when idling.
mpascal suggested I post here to get some help from tech staff that could asist me with this problem. Here is a link for all that was done and tried so far;
http://www.geekstogo...53#entry1670953
Also besides booting issues, I am unable to boot safe mode because of a "BSOD" code that was unable to be resolved;
0X0000007B (0XF789E528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

This is really my last resort before I :)
So please could someone help me?? :)

Edited by cyneea, 27 October 2009 - 09:18 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello cyneea.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

Since this all started with the virus let's do a repair installation and see if we can nip this in the behind quickly. Please follow the next steps in order and let us know how it works.

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

cyneea

cyneea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hey rshaffer61,
Thanks for welcoming me...because I really do all the help I can get.
So I followed your above post...but it didn't go so well, basically windows reloaded itself fully...omg I know.
I followed your above posts point by point but there was never any time I was given the option of repairing windows. So basically I am left with 2 operating systems?? I lost a bunch of my programs and files and still booting is still an issue. What do I do? Can you help me fix my funk up? God I feel like a retard sorry.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like you missed this part

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

If you have two operating systems loaded then when you boot there should be a prompt asking which you want to boot to correct?

cyneea

cyneea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
yes that is correct
but oddly enough there was no part for the F8 to agree to the license agreement

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So no matter what OS you pick the system still will not boot correctly?

cyneea

cyneea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
yes still it turns off!! weird.
Really there was only this virus situation when it all started. Then when mpascal started removing stuff thats when my computer went a little coo coo.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

cyneea

cyneea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hey rshaffer61,
So I did what was in your last post and this is what came up;

CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.
39070048 kilobytes total disk space.
26818700 kilobytes are available.
4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
9767512 total allocatio units on disk.
6704675 allocation units available on disk

So far so good, no booting issues :)
Now the question remains how to i get rid of the second operating system?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So it is booting up correctly now?

Advertisements

cyneea

cyneea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
yes it is booting :)
even in safe mode!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK let's see about fixing that second OS problem now.

Please do the following in the exact steps. Failure to do so could make the boot.ini damaged and cause unstable or unusable results with your system.:

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.
5. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
6. First in here change the location in the top white drop down box to Desktop. Then in the file name change to Boot.old and save as Text Document(*.txt) and save it to your Desktop and then click Save

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply.

Now you can repeat the steps to get back to step Number 4
I will reply with the Fix to do. Once the fix has been applied then Save and Close the file.
Reboot and let me know if this takes care of your problem

cyneea

cyneea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hello again,
To my sweet surprise it took a few times to boot to my desktop...still shutting down :) its weird how its fine then just goes bananas?
so I did what was said in your last post here is the boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

/noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noexecute=alwaysoff
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

/noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

I gonna restart now

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok now this is important... repeat the steps for the boot.ini from the last post and go to step 4
Now What you need to do is to take out this lion from the boot.ini.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Save the file and close the notepad.Then reboot the system and let me know if the problem still exist.

cyneea

cyneea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I followed what was said and upon rebooting it gave me the option of 2 windows (default) options. I used the first one and now I have none of my programs ie, microsoft office?