Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer is infected with various virus's

• Please log in to reply

holyhell

holyhell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Looks like my computer has been infected in a way I haven't seen before.

My Norton 360 subscription ran out about 3 months ago, and I haven't got around to renewing it.

Maybe two days ago I noticed my internet browsing + gaming would slow down to a stand still periodically. In games my ping would fly through the roof for 30seconds at a time, then settle back down again. This behavior seemed incredibly odd given my computer wasn't doing much else. So I got a bandwidth monitor and lo and behold every 20 minutes or so my computer would max out its upload for 30 seconds, then stop for 10, repeating this a further two times. Lets just say I was highly disturbed.

Watching the TCP connections during these uploading periods, various SVChost.exe's would initialize and also a wininet.dll both pointing to the exact same IP address each time the uploads started. These processes would then disappear when the uploading stopped...

So not really knowing what to do I got Norton Internet Security 2010 and ran a full system scan in safemode. I found various virus's / trojan horses / backdoors / malware that have all been supposedly dealt with. However these not so random uploads are still occurring! Even whilst norton is running!

So now I'm at a loss as to what I should be doing. I've gotten adaware and I'm about to run a full system scan, but I'm thinking its time to get some real advice.

So any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance and please oh please help thee!

Edited by holyhell, 27 October 2009 - 11:11 PM.

Advertisements