Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starting a PC up as an external?

• Please log in to reply

Julianna

Julianna

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a netbook and I want to install Office home and student (just got it from amazon today, yay!). This is 2007, but my version on the computer is 2003.

I've started MAC computers up as externals and done all sorts of stuff, but I have no experience with PCs. I have a full-size Acer Aspire running Vista, and I wonder if I can start the vista up as an external on the netbook, and access the office CD through the big computer's disk drive?

Any input would be appreciated :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You cannot run Windows from an external drive.
The computer will boot FROM an external drive but you can't install Windows to an external drive with the intent of plugging it into any computer you find and booting it up.
The reason it works on Macs is because all Macs are effectively the same hardware. In a PC there are thousands of different combinations of hardware to mix and match, and if you change hardware after tying Windows to one hardware configuration, it'll just show you a blue screen.