Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming Console vs PC Gaming

• Please log in to reply

lavega21

lavega21

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Do you prefer playing games on your PC or playing game on an actual gaming system/console like PS3 or Xbox ? What are the advantages of PC Gaming vs the other? Disadvantages? Do most of the games that come out on PS3 Xbox come out of PC as well?

Advertisements

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I prefer PC gaming. It feels more immersive to me. I can do more to customize my game.
Depending on the game and its community, more modding/tweaking/patches may be available.
I can use console commands if I feel like it (console commands are not always a cheat;
in Morrowind, aside from mod testing, the only one I have used is 'fixme'). It may be a
mini-hassle to get some games compatible with the machine set-up, but the freedom that
playing a game on a PC gives me makes any compatibility hassle well worth it to me.
Then again; I mostly play RP games that are customizable and have a modding community.
IF I played games that didn't inspire me to customize then I might prefer a console?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
PC hands down. No comparison. I don't even own a console and haven't even tried most of them. So perhaps this isn't such a fair opinion after all?

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I prefer the console myself (PS3) there is an article by Dave Spohn on About.com PC vs. Console I know its all most 1 1/2 years old, but I agree with the advantages and disadvantages for both systems. I have posted some of the console advantages listed in the article.

Console Advantages

Consoles sell for well under $500, often with a couple games in the bundle. A PC adequate for running the latest games can easily cost twice that much.

Simplicity

Multiplayer gaming is also made easy

People prefer to play games sitting on the couch, or they want to play with friends in the same room. While these things are possible on a PC, consoles are extremely well-suited for this right out of the box.

Console games are more readily rented than PC games

Console games tend to have a relatively low learning curve. You might need fast thumbs, but you certainly won't need to spend hours in a "tutorial" trying to learn how to operate basic game functions.

I have played a few PC games over the years and really enjoyed them, but now as my PC gets older and older, I just can’t run the newest games, or even some of the older ones. Sure I could upgrade or buy a new PC, but that’s pretty expensive just to play a few game that I like.

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
PC wins, I totally prefer to sit behind my computer/laptop and play games then to sit lazy in a couch with a console in my hand.

PC gamers enjoy low ping, larger maps, more players, choosing servers, clan home base and communities, modding, mapping, scripting and much more.
Console gamers enjoy playing the stock game and belonging to a huge crowded community of strangers.

Sometimes I do like a console game, but you cannot compare it to the overwhelming joy of PC gaming :) .

lavega21

lavega21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thank you all for the reply. I see there are a few loyal PC gamers int his forum. I have a PS2 and I am planning on purchasing a PS3 or go with the PC gaming route so this will certainly help me make my decision.

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Another thing to consider, especially if you spend an hour or more at a time gaming, is what
the ergonomic situation is at your couch versus at your desk? I have been able to make my
desk area suit my posture needs; and the environment and lighting at my desk are completely
under my control. In a family/living room, where the console would be, simply wouldn't work
well for my various needs. Consider how much control you have over the space you want to
game in and if it is sufficient for what you need to do to promote good posture, reduce
eyestrain, and any other concerns you might have. Happy gaming!

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 29 October 2009 - 06:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I haven't played on either system for a long time.
I base my decision on what games I am playing. Game consoles nice for more then one player one on one interaction.
PC games you can enjoy your own space. I guess this is one situation I would have to say Console over all.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
I don't really play many games, but I would probably have to give the edge to the console.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Console... everyone who has a certain console will always have games that are compatible (ie. one cannot have a ps2 that is unable (graphically) to run a ps2 game)
I really like my ps3... graphics are amazing especially on Uncharted, Motorstorm 2, and Killzone (although I have never seen it played in front of me). Not only that, but using a game controller is so much easier than a keyboard.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Not only that, but using a game controller is so much easier than a keyboard.

That's why I have an XBOX 360 Controller for Windows. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You can use a PS3 controller in Windows 32-bit... but I never tried it.
I just like the exclusives for Ps3, Littlebigplanet was tons of fun.

laxshman

laxshman

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Another thing to consider, especially if you spend an hour or more at a time gaming, is what
the ergonomic situation is at your couch versus at your desk? I have been able to make my
desk area suit my posture needs; and the environment and lighting at my desk are completely
under my control. In a family/living room, where the console would be, simply wouldn't work
well for my various needs. Consider how much control you have over the space you want to
game in and if it is sufficient for what you need to do to promote good posture, reduce
eyestrain, and any other concerns you might have. Happy gaming!

When i am playing 360 after dark, i have to get up off of my LEATHER couch, walk a few meters and TURN THE LIGHT OFF
too much effort.

vittorio

vittorio

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
console all the way. consoles are soley designed to play video games. I have to say mainly b/c something like an xbox or ps3 will have way more games made for it. the use of comfortable controllers, the convience and the price. Most games on PC now days are just ports from what was developed to be played on consoles. So yes a 5,000$ computer might be speced to blow an xbox out of the water, but if the game was originally designed for xbox, then the pc is going to waste. I think the thing that urks me the most about playing on the pc is that people can openly mod and customize graphics, sounds, etc. That's fine if the game is meant to be open source, but it takes away from the games originality. Not to mention things like FPS are way easier to play on pc, and just about any game you play online will have hacks, and exploits. I.E. final fantasy xi, where grid hackers claim notorious monsters before they even spawn, or run bots. The conrols, AWSD keys, limit your movement in a 3D interface compared to an eight directional analog controller. In games like Assassin's Creed you don't need all the extra buttons on a keyboard to play it. Or play a Nascar game with keys, its much more precise with analog and pressure sensitive buttons, it's even more precise than most of the steering wheels you can buy. Pretty much your average person doesn't spend over 1000$ on a pc. So, if they are trying to play most games, they will have to turn down graphics or just play on low settings, where as you pay 400$ for a xbox or ps3, it plays the game to its full capabilities. Although I have to say MMO on the PC all the way b/c they aren't all designed for high end graphics as much as the online experience. Again Final Fantasy XI is a great example. First released for the PS2, five years later I played it on xbox 360, and my gaming pc. The graphics weren't any better in comparison, except that they were smoother and sharper. Side by side from ps2 to xbox 360 they didn't look that much different. B/c even though a pc blows ps2 away in performance comparison the game was still made originally for the ps2, so you can only enhance it so much from the original without going back, and making new graphics.

Icedrake

Icedrake

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
PC games. Mainly because I've never played on that many types of consoles to give a fair comparison. :)