Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive problems...

• Please log in to reply

mes181

mes181

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
The Problem:

When I start my computer, during the boot up it goes to recognize the hard drive, and gives me the message of Primary hard disk fail.

I have tried connecting 2 different hard drives and get the same message. Both hard drives have an installed version of windows on them. I was trying to reformat the hard drives in DOS.

I can press F1 to continue the startup after the hard disk fail message. When I do, the computer states that it Cannot load DOS! Any key to retry

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions...?

System Info:

It is an older computer. PIII 800 mhz with a MS-6199 VA ATX VIA motherboard. It has 326 mb of RAM. The two hard drives are a Fujitsu 9 GB, and a Western Digital Hard Drive 13 GB. I downloaded a diagnostic to run on the hard drives, but I have to get the computer to run DOS in order to run the diagnostic.

Backround Info:

I originally wanted to reinstall everything on the computer, doing a fresh install. I had two hard drives installed on this computer. One with Windows (Western Digital HD), and another as a secondary hard drive (Fujitsu HD). When I couldn't get either hard drive to reformat in dos, I reformated the Fujitsu HD on another computer in windows.

I removed the Western Digital HD, and then after I reformatted the Fujitsu HD I started to reinstall windows xp home, and encountered an error. I then tried to reformat the drive, to attempt to reinstall windows. I couldn't get it to reformat in DOS, using the command reformat, under the c: drive, or in windows on another computer. When plugged into the computer, I am now getting the Primary master hard disk fail message.

The Western Digital HD, that still has the original Windows XP home installed on it gets the same Primary hard disk fail message. I have been unnable to reformat it in dos or on another computer in windows.

When I connect either the Western Digital HD or the Fujistsu HD to my other computer, it recognizes them, and I can access the content on them.

What is going on? Help Please! :) :) :yeah: :tazz: ;) ;) :)

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If the drives aren't being detected in the bios, then I would suspect that either they are connected incorrectly (check the IDE ribbon cable is the right way round etc), or they are jumpered incorrectly or the IDE cable is faulty.
It's unlikely, but double check that the primary IDE channel is enabled in the bios & any settings for it are set to defaults.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
if you had an sata at some point, the ide primary master may still be set to sata in the bios.

Nixx