Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

thinkpad r51 audio help please

• Please log in to reply

sammie9271

sammie9271

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a thinkpad r51 model 2887w23 and when i bought it the audio worked fine but it was really slow so i put windows xp pro on it and i installed all the drivers from the lenovo website and everything in the device manager says it works fine yet when you click on the sound max propertys and click the propertys tab each one says that the driver is enabled but not functioning properly and then if you click settings it says that it cant find the itergrated audio driver and that the driver file may be missing try reinstalling the driver. Ive installed at least 10 different drivers ive found all over the internet and i cant get it to work. i need help!!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello sammie9271.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

In device manager are there any yellow exclamation marks or red X's?
Did you down grade it from Vista to XP?

sammie9271

sammie9271

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I upgraded from xp home to xp pro and in the device manager everythinh look normal. No yellow ?'s or red X's

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Check speaker connection to back of system
Check volume control in windows by doing the following:
Go to Start and The Run
Type in sndvol32.exe and press Enter
Make sure Master Volume is not muted and turned up
Check Cd Player volume is not muted and turned up

sammie9271

sammie9271

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The thing is there is no volume control its not in the task bar and when you go to the sound and audio device propertys it says there is no device

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is possible that it is disabled in the bios.
Try rebooting and at the first post screen try tapping DEL, F1, F2 F12 or ESC
One of them will allow you into the bios.
Find the area for the onboard components and make sure the audio is enabled. Save and exit. Let me know if this works.

sammie9271

sammie9271

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ive tryed that before but it didnt give any options but it shows the sound max audio card in the device manager

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok let's try reinstalling the driver.
Please go HERE
Scroll down till you find the Audio section and then download the file named
v5.12.0135410 Dated 4 Oct 2005
This should be the original audio driver for the system.