Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Audio

• Please log in to reply

opossum58

opossum58

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am using my tv as a computer monitor and i am trying to get sound to play through it. I have an auxilary cable hooked up but for some reason i cant get the sound to work. I then tried to get my old computer speakers to work and once again couldnt get sound to work. The sound used to work fine before butI recently had to re-install windows xp on to my computer and it hasnt worked since. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Go to Start>run... type in devmgmt.msc then hit ok. Are there any yellow or red marks showing up in Device manager? If so, please list them.

opossum58

opossum58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes there are a quite a few yellow question marks. They are Ethernet Controller, PCI Device, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, and Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Can you post a screenshot of Device manager?

opossum58

opossum58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Manager.JPG

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No wonder nothing's working... it looks like you didn't install all the important drivers. What kind of computer is this? If this is an OEM (dell, hp, etc), what is the FULL model number. If there is a Service tag, what is the serial number. If this is home-built, what kind of motherboard and graphics card is installed?

opossum58

opossum58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No its not homebuilt. Its a dell Inspiron. Not quite sure if this is the model number or not but its 0U760 or else it could be X12-51823. Service tag is HFVJDF1. Can i download these drives from somewhere? Thank you for your help by the way. I appriciate it!

Edited by opossum58, 01 November 2009 - 08:36 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The model number you posted doesn't jive with Dell Inspirons. According to the Service tag HFVJDF1, you have a model 530. Please verify before installing any drivers from the following link I'm posting. You can go HERE to download your drivers.

Make sure the very first driver you install is the Chipset driver (4th on the list)... restart your machine as required. Then you can install all the rest that you're missing... ethernet, video, etc. Just keep installing and checking Device Manager until all the yellow marks are gone.

The drivers you download are self-extracting exe files. These files will extract to a location on your C drive which will most probably be C:\dell\drivers\xxxxxxx, where "xxxxxxx" is the name of the file you downloaded. If the drivers don't automatically install directly after extraction, you will need to go to the extraction folder to look for the setup.exe and run it... so pay attention to where the files are being extracted.

Let me know how it goes.

opossum58

opossum58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Woo! My sound is working along with everything else! Thank you sooo much for your help! It really great you guys help out like this! Thanks again! :)
12.JPG

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, I'm glad you got everything going. Great job!

You're welcome, by the way, and thanks for the kind comments. We do try our best. :)