Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Direct Connection

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Is it possible for me to connect two computers together dirctly using their built in modems?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello 111787,
See if this page helps.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
no way to just take a telephone wire and connect it to the two modems? If not is it possible through the ethernet cards or do i need at least a Hub?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
While modems are designed to be connected to telephone lines which have dial tones and voltages on the line, it's claimed that most modems will communicate when just connected to each other back-to-back via a telephone cord. To get this working, type ATD for one modem to dial and ATA for the other modem to answer (or set it for auto answer). Since there will be no dialtone, you may need to set ATX (or whatever) to blind dial (force it to dial without a dialtone). If ATD doesn't work because of no phone number, you could try ATD0 to send a 0.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thank you i will try that and get back to you. It is so much better explaining something simply than giving out a link to the first site which google spits out. Especially in this case where it requires you to rewire the modems.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Yes, well when I made my first reply I was studying for two exams the next day. However, you could have found out this information for yourself by simply doing a Google Search.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did, the link you gave me is the first thing it spits out.