Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD drive not recognized by Win Xp

• Please log in to reply

dino velvet

dino velvet

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

I’m hoping someone can help me as my computer is driving me insane trying to figure out a problem. Basically, my DVD drive is not being recognized in Win XP. Its not shown in Device Manager, but it does show up in my bios.
I had a BSOD w/ the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message about a week ago and had to do a repair with the Win XP CD. All worked fine after that & had to do all the downloads & updates from Microsoft after that. I tried to burn a dvd yesterday & this is when I noticed my dvd burner is not working. I have switched 2 other dvd drives in case it was a bad drive but no change. I also tried to change the jumpers from slave to master and switched the IDE cable positions but no success.
I have googled for fixes & this is what else I have tried:
- Tried Regedit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and removed upper & lower filters, there were no backup files.
-
- Deleted IDE controller from Device manager, rebooted but still no DVD drive shown
-
- Tried MS FIX IT on the MS site but it says no Cd/DVD detected.
-
- Downloaded XP-CD_-DVD fix.exe file and rebooted.
Nothing has worked so far. The computer seems to work fine except for not recognizing the DVD drive. I can at least boot from the Win XP disk if I need to do another repair or a clean install if I have to as a last resort.
I’m all ears if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

Take a screenshot now by doing the following....

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

dino velvet

dino velvet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the reply. Turns out I had to reinstall Nvidia chipset drivers, it was missing NVATA.SYS so Win XP was not reading my IDE drive.