Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win XP problem

• Please log in to reply

RS2K

RS2K

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi I'm new here and got problems with my brother inlaw's PC He is running WinXP Pro he had a virus which he could not get rid of so he decided to formatt the hard drive ok now the problems started he got NTLDR FILE MISSING got that fixed now all he is getting is "ERROR LOADING OPERATING SYSTEM" he can get into the bios and it will boot from CD and he has put WinXp back on the drive but still gets the error message any ideas on what is causing this please it's got me stumped ;) ok he is getting another problem error hal.dll anyhelp would be greatful missing or corrupt :tazz: ;)
This is getting crazy now he cant even get to boot from CD rom so please has anybody got any ideas

Edited by RS2K, 16 May 2005 - 05:19 AM.

Advertisements

RS2K

RS2K

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Come on someone help me please someone has got to know what is causing this problem

RS2K

RS2K

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well searched and found out how to get it sotred so i though i would post it for other's if it happens to them ok

Boot from your CD and follow the directions below to start Recovery Console.

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When prompted, type the Administrator password. (if you didn't create one try pressing enter).

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

Most likely you will need to expand the file from the CD. The command would be expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.