Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb, firewire, and built in card reader

• Please log in to reply

Trixsteruk

Trixsteruk

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I recently bought a new graphics card and memory, i figured my pc needed a format to start a fresh so i did. After i re-installed + updated it, i realised none of my usb ports were working. I checked device manager and noticed 3 exclamation marks next to:- OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 host controller; standard enhanced pci to usb host controller; and standard open hcb usb host controller, i've tried uninstalling and then re-installing the drivers to no avail. The error shown in the properties of each item is error 10, also when i was reinstalling the drivers i get the message this hardware was not installed properly. I've been reading up for days about this problem all to no avail, any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:- Compaq, sr2019uk desktop, with a radeon x300 64MB gfx card, and 4GB of ram, i bought the gfx card and memory seperate and installed myself.
attatchment shows device manager and properties of each device.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Did you install the Nvidia Chipset driver? Where did you download your drivers for this machine? Do you have a link? Do you happen to have the Compaq Driver Recovery disk? I believe you require the All-in-one driver and it should be on that disk.

Trixsteruk

Trixsteruk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I downloaded the drivers from the hp website, i installed the chipset driver, and it said i needed to do it through device manager, so i did, i then got the latest chipset drivers from the nvidia website, i tried to install them but it said " u need to uninstall the old drivers installer is shutting down to do so, pc rebooted then the installer came up with some kind of error regarding the old ones :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Go HERE and download/install the Windows Installer Clean Up utility. Don't run it yet. Go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Program and uninstall the Chipset driver if it's in the list. If not, don't worry about it. Next run the Windows Installer Clean Up utility and have it remove the Chipset if it's in the list. PLEASE don't remove anything else.

Restart your machine. After restart, install the Chipset driver again.

You USB, 1394 ports problem is probably due to the All-in-one driver that's on one of the Compaq disks. You won't find it on the internet unless you get very lucky or if someone happened to upload it. Do you have and of Compaq's disks? Do you know anyone that has a Compaq or HP computer that's similar to yours that have similar ports on the front of their computer. They might have a disk you can borrow and use.

By the way, what version of XP are you running? SP1, SP2, or SP3?

Trixsteruk

Trixsteruk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
It doesnt appear to be in the list even though i have installed it many a time. I got SP3, and btw i have formatted and installed using these drivers before. I've tried uninstalling them from device manager before, and then re-installing them. If they're in the windows installer cleranup program they are called a filename that i have'nt seen before or they are not there.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Please provide links to the drivers you're using.

Trixsteruk

Trixsteruk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
http://h10025.www1.h...product=3264373

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You mentioned you downloaded from the Nvidia site... do you have a link for that driver? I already know about the Compaq site. By the way, have you tried running the HP Update tool?

Trixsteruk

Trixsteruk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes i tried and it failed to install :), The nvidia site detectds your drivers for you so i dont know if you'll be able to see it but here it is anyway
http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-uk

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

have you tried running the HP Update tool?

Advertisements

Trixsteruk

Trixsteruk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes i tried it and it failed to install, the hp website says if it shows error 9994 which it di then the update is not needed.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, we're going to have to start over again. You need to answer these questions.

Do you happen to have the Compaq Recovery disk?
Do you have any Compaq disks?
What did you use to install XP?
Did the disc you used come with SP3 or did you update to SP3?

For some reason, it doesn't seem like you're missing the chipset driver according to the device manager photo you posted. Can you post a new photo of Device manager. Also post a second photo, but this time, click on the plus sign (+) of System devices to expand that list item so I can see the contents. You will have to adjust the window size to show the contents.

Trixsteruk

Trixsteruk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
1: no
2: no
3: genuine xp disc sp2
4: no, i updated

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Thanks!

no, i updated

Before you updated SP3, did you install all the drivers and were they working in SP2? The reason I ask is that maybe your problem is related to SP3.

Trixsteruk

Trixsteruk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I dont think they were, although i can't be certain :)