Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Completely rebuilding Emachine W1307

• Please log in to reply

That1guy2007

That1guy2007

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello guys, my first post here. I am looking for some input on this emachine I am wanting to reuild. I am replacing.....harddrive, videocard, processor, and ram. It is an Emachine W3107. I am rebuilding it for gaming. It currently has an AMD Sempron 3100+ processor which is 1.6Ghz :/ I am wanting to upgrade it to AMD Sempron 140 Processor - 2.70GHz, Socket AM3, 512KB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) HT Bus. The motherboard is a k8mc51g. That motherboard is compatiable with "A" socket processors as far as i know. The cpu slot says socket 754 on it. I was wondering if the AMD 104 will be compatible.

Next I am wanting to put a Westerm Digital Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G harddrive in this system. I have checked the power supply and it meets all the requirements to run the HDD. The specs on the currect power supply are as follows:
Voltage
115V~
230V~

+3.3V +5V +12V
30A 40A 18A

370.5W

Current

10A
5.5A

Next I am wanting to put a
Sparkle GeForce 9400 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2, DVI, VGA, PCI-Express 2.0 in for graphics. The motherboard has a pci express slot (which I have read that the pci express 2.0 is backwards compatiable with the regular pci express slot).

The RAM I plan to install in this machine are 2 sticks of Transcend 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz.

As I review everything it all looks compatiable...if there is anything I am missing or looks incompatiable please let me know. :)

Best Regards,
Tyler

Edited by That1guy2007, 29 October 2009 - 10:30 PM.

Advertisements

That1guy2007

That1guy2007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have done more research...do not pay mind to my goofy question of 754/am3 compatibility. Now im thinking of possibly upgrading the motherboard but then i would need a new casing (most likely) and a motherboard with 2 IDE connectors. See where I am going with this? So its either dont upgrade the processor and live with the terrible speed and max out my memory with 2gig and a big video card....or go through alot of headache with trying to fit a square shape in a circle hole. Because there is no way im going to fork out $200+ for an athlon 64 3700+ cpu (754 of course).

Any suggestions?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey and welcome :)

What's your max budget for this?

That1guy2007

That1guy2007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
As I delved deeper and deeper into this i figured my cpu chipset was a bust and forking over 200+ for a single core processor didn't appeal to me. I decided to go with a barbones kit with an AMD Phenom X4 9750 2.4Ghz processor and im torn between a Sparkle GeForce 9800 GT Power Efficiency Video Card - 1024MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, (2) Dual Link DVI, VGA Support. Or an HIS Radeon HD 4670 iSilence Video Card - 1GB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, DVI, HDMI & VGA.

Here is my dilemma...

My motherboard that comes with the barbones kit (Asus M4N78 PRO Motherboard - Socket AM2+, Geforce 8300, ATX, HDMI, SATA, Gbit LAN, Hybrid SLI) Comes with the Geforce 8300 on board video which is only 512mb. Since I am building a gaming rig I naturally want more. If I put the ATI card in it is Crossfire ready...does that mean i can put the ATI card in my computer and it will work with the onboard video card and share the load? (In theory i would have 1.5GB of video memory at that point correct?) The same goes for the Geforce card. It is SLI ready that is the same thing is it not? The cards are virtually the same price ( a couple of dollars difference). One thing I am drawn to with the Geforce card is that it has a fan all ready mounted on the card. Input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have plenty of room in my tower for either of these cards. They aren't really what you call low profile cards.

Best Reguards,
Tyler

Edited by That1guy2007, 07 November 2009 - 02:03 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
According to the specs you posted above, it does support Hybrid SLI. Read up on the Asus website and see what cards are supported, and grab one of those.