Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer has troubles after installation

• Please log in to reply

turdling

turdling

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I just got a DVD writer installed, and now i can't find either the new CD drive or the other CD drive in "My computer", so I can't access the drives and I can't burn anything

My first two disc drives was a standard cd reader and the second was a regular cd burner. I replaced the former with the DVD writer. Please help! I would appreciate it a lot! Let me know if I'm not being clear enough, I know my computer lingo is terrible

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Check to make sure the cables are seated, the most comman cause of this is that the jumpers on back of the drives are not set correctly.

Set the jumper on the dvd to MA (master) and the cd to SL (slave) assuming that both these drives are on the same cable witch is how they normally should be. If the jumpers are set to CS (cable select) switch them to the above, sometimes CS has some problems recognizing the drives.

Rick

turdling

turdling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
unbelievable! once again you save me in a time of crisis. thanks so much

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome

Did I help you before?

turdling

turdling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
uh oh, i think there is still a bit of a problem

With my g drive (original CD RW) I can't access it. I can burn cd's through it and i can read cd's thorugh it but I can't open up an empty cd. its not a huge problem but...

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try removing it in device manager then reboot, windows will reload the drivers for it maybe that will help