Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

laptop crashed windows xp

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

angelbear

angelbear

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
hello
my son bought a used laptop and it worked great for a week.
it started asking for a user id and password, which we did not set up
i ended up reinstalling windows xp from an old installation disk from my desktop computer
everything loaded ok except for the internet
i am trying to find drivers for the wireless adapter but i'm having no luck
can anyone help?
its hard to update without internet connection

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

i ended up reinstalling windows xp from an old installation disk from my desktop computer

What type of disk is this? You could be in violation of MS's license terms.

We can not help you find the drivers for the laptop because we have NO CLUE what the manufacturer or model it is.

angelbear

angelbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
oops sorry! the disk i used was emachines system recovery cd/dvd from my desktop computer.

i have tried to find the make and model of the wireless but it doesn't give me a name anywhere
does RAS Async Adapter mean anything?

i think i might have messed up using this recovery cd, it says my activation status is pending (30 days). can i take the activation code off the desktop and use it???

thank you for any help you can give

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Unless the CD you used was for multiple licenses, then what you did is against the licensing agreement from MS.
The recovery CD for your emachines desktop is only for the desktop.
You may not use it on the laptop.

You need to either purchase a recovery CD for the laptop (if available) or purchase a XP CD and key for use on the laptop.

In reality, the OS belongs to the laptop, so the seller should have given you a recovery CD or a XP install disk with the key.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to copied, pirated, or in any other way stolen programs. It is a direct violation of our TOS (Terms Of Service) to offer any assistance in this matter.
You have a illegal installation of your OS on your system so this topic is closed.
If you feel this is not correct please contact a Moderator or Admnin to have this topic reviewed.