Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Virtual Memory !

• Please log in to reply

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

The OTL Cleanup, I ran that yesterday.

I've already went to Control Panel Add/Remove and didnt see the RootRepeal program, guess OTL cleaned it up.

Is TFC the Auslogics Defrag program. Because you said I should keep that program.

I'm sorry, I totally forgot to open the Virus Removal folder and SNAPSHOT it before I deleted it.

I took a SNAPSHOT of my C Drive so you can tell me what to do with them and how I should delete them.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are showing hidden files in your C drive and those files need to stay hidden so that a accidental delete does not happen.
TFC is the Temp File Cleaner program and I thought it didn't work but the ATF program did. Keep either TFC or ATF but you don't need both.
The Auslogics Defrag is a different program and you should keep it.
How is the system running at this point?
I also seen you had concerns about Firefox. Does it show up in Add\Remove Programs at all?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Hi simplee55

We are here to start some more cleanup and attempt to stabilize your computer.

Don't worry about FF. It should have worked for you, but for some reason it did not. That is ok. We recommend based on our experience and the reviews of others (and yes I have a stable system). There are other browsers and I am only familiar with FF. I use IE out of necessity sometimes. You must use what works for you. I will tell you that FF and opera and the other ones are not as prone to virus attacks as IE is.

As Rshaffer stated, you must hide the system files to prevent accidental deletion.
To do that....open up a windows explorer window
Go to tools....
Click on folder options....
Click on the view tab...
Make sure that "display the contents of system folders" is unchecked.
Make sure the "do not show hidden files and folders" is checked.

Where do we stand with Firefox? Because we can do some additional cleanup on the program. It leaves some folders for future use if you want to reinstall. We can get rid of them. They do not affect you if you leave them, but not necessary to have them.

In the snapshot in post 286 you can right click and delete aaw7boot.log and rootrepeal report 11-05-09

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

You are showing hidden files in your C drive and those files need to stay hidden so that a accidental delete does not happen.
TFC is the Temp File Cleaner program and I thought it didn't work but the ATF program did. Keep either TFC or ATF but you don't need both.
The Auslogics Defrag is a different program and you should keep it.
How is the system running at this point?
I also seen you had concerns about Firefox. Does it show up in Add\Remove Programs at all?

About the hidden files, I understand. I'll answer that when I answer Runner.

About TFC, I still have that program, will keep it.

The Defrag program, kept that too.

Over all, the system seems to be running really good. If we can get that sluggishness out, it will be EXCELLENT.

About FF. No, I DELETED that on Sunday, while Azral was still helping me.

I want to tell you I'm keeping the AutoRun program. I found more files: File Not Found and right clicked and deleted them.

Something that surprised me is: I saw a Yahoo Tool Bar in Add/Remove Programs, I got rid of that sucker right off.

Actually, what alerted me was, AutoRun. I did NOT install it, so I have no idea where and how it was put on the system.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Runner:

We are here to start some more cleanup and attempt to stabilize your computer. Good, thank you, both of you.

As Rshaffer stated, you must hide the system files to prevent accidental deletion. The Tools menu didn't show those options, I had to go to the "C" drive and the TABS above there is where I did your instructions.

To do that....open up a windows explorer window
Go to tools....
Click on folder options....
Click on the view tab..

Make sure that "display the contents of system folders" is unchecked. This was already UNCHECKED

Make sure the "do not show hidden files and folders" is checked. I had to CHECK that.

Where do we stand with Firefox? Because we can do some additional cleanup on the program. It leaves some folders for future use if you want to reinstall. We can get rid of them. They do not affect you if you leave them, but not necessary to have them. Well, I just thought that since I deleted FF, I always like to get rid of any trace stuff from any UNINSTALLS I may do. But since you say that it really doesn't make any different, ok, that's fine.

In the snapshot in post 286 you can right click and delete aaw7boot.log and rootrepeal report 11-05-09. Yeah, I took care of all that. Thank U !!!

May I add this though.
About the FILES in the snapshot.

There is a Windows File just above those files in the snapshot, I hope you and reshaffer don't think that those files are actually in the Windows Folder, because they are not. But they are right up underneath the Windows Folder.

Whatever you and rshaffer are going to do on this end, I hope it will clear up the slowness of the system. It just wasn't like this when I first got this PC.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Over time the system will slow down and you still have to increase your memory from when we started this all.
I know I sound like a broken record but you will see the greatest increase in performance by just getting your memory up to 1 gig.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Alright ...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Looks like we are working on a few things between us rshaffer61.

Simplee55

Lets clean up what FF left. What I give you may or may not be there.

To remove added plugins or other files and folders that may not be removed by the uninstall you must manually delete the Firefox installation folder, which is located here by default: C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox

We will also delete the profiles in # 2 below.

1. Go to C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox and delete everything (and including) the "mozilla Firefox" folder.
2. Go to start...and then run and type in %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ and hit ok. That will bring you to your FF profiles. You can delete that folder.

I now believe we should do the TFC (temp file cleaner)
and then do the Auslogics defrag. For giggles just make a note of the fragmentation amount. I am just curious because we have installed and deinstalled alot. Post the number next time.

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good call 123Runner take it one step at a time and then we should be able to run this down.
The last step will be cleaning temps and defragging again I suppose. :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
GUYS:

I am so afraid to tell you this, but I must.

I went on the 2010 Census Job web site. Clicked on one of the links, and the web page is stuck on Opera. BLANK page

I had to do a Restart 5 times, trying to JAR it some kind of way. I even uninstalled it and reinstalled, with NO results.

So as I speak to you right now, is thru FF.

My worse NIGHTMARE would be that there is possibly another Virus ... God NO::)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't know how you would have gotten another virus unless you have downloaded something or gone onto a website that you have not been on many times before.
That is not saying there is a problem but the likelihood of another infection is almost null.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
OK:

Oh, thank you, thank you.:)

Would you know how I can unstick the browser, it wont let me do anything. I really want to keep Opera, I like it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Will Opera start or is it dead?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Will Opera start or is it dead?

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
yeah, it opens, I just cant do anything after it opens. The page itself is frozen and I can't open or close any of the 3-tabs that are open.

My PC is not frozen, because I can navigate on it, it's just the browswer

Edited by simplee55, 17 November 2009 - 08:23 PM.