Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory !

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Uninstall it and reinstall. It may be a problem with the program itself that a fresh install of it will fix.

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
I thought I mentioned that I already did a uninstall and reinstall. Didn't work at all, I can't believe it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh OK i missed that then. sorry about that.
FF is working OK and IE is not going to be used, so we are getting to a point that we need to clean the system up again and make sure everything is running then.
Once that is done then we can try a different download of the Opera browser from a different location. It may be a corrupt installation file.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
On Opera, that sounds good and I'm gonna hold ya to that.

On FF, no it's not running OK, ("man I hate this browser"), but you know rshaffer, I'm just not going to sweat it right now, I want to move on.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
Simplee55 and Rshaffer61,

We need to go back to some basics.
We have 3 browsers that are acting up. That in itself is not possible. There is an underlying issue affecting all 3. We need to find out what it is.

What we know:
1. IE7 has issues with displaying posts/web pages.
2. IE8 is giving sign on issues with Geeks to Go and Yahoo.
3. FF (I do not recall the issues). Simplee55 are there issues or is it you just do not like it?

I gave you instructions to cleanup what was left with FF. That was just cleanup and since you had to re-install FF, it is a mute point right now.

Did you run TFC?
Did you run Auslogics Defrag?

We need to re-run some checks. I am sur Rshaffer61 will agree.
1. We should run disk check.
2. We should run system file check. ------->We have not done this.
3. We should check the hard drive integrity with its diagnostic program. ----->We have not done this.

If you have not done so, run TFC and Auslogics defrag. Let us know the fragmentation level.

Run check disk

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r/f Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

123runner

EDIT: Info needed for later
Post 13 has the everest report. Its a Dell, XP home, WD 80gb drive.

Edited by 123Runner, 18 November 2009 - 06:12 AM.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Runner:

1. IE7 has issues with displaying posts/web pages.
2. IE8 is giving sign on issues with Geeks to Go and Yahoo.

3. FF (I do not recall the issues). Simplee55 are there issues or is it you just do not like it? Yes, the problem I'm having with FF is, it appears that it's slowing my system down. I was at least getting things done a tad bit faster than I am now, even with IE 7 and 8.

The slow down DID NOT happen until I download FF. That's the truth.

Did you run TFC? I only ran TFC when Azral told me to, I havent since.

Did you run Auslogics Defrag? Yes I did.

If you have not done so, run TFC and Auslogics defrag. Let us know the fragmentation level. I will let you know as soon as all is completed.

Edited by simplee55, 18 November 2009 - 07:28 AM.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
GUYS:

Here are the results from the Auslogics Program.

Also, I took a 2nd SNAPSHOT of the very bottom of that Log because I would like you to explain to me what it means.

I'm not speaking about the Log itself, but the information right up underneath the Log.

I will be running the Chkdsk in an hour, have to get everything out of the way before I start it. I should have something for you by Mid day.

You didn't ask for it, but here are the results of that TFC run:

Total files cleaned: 164.93 mb

One last thing.

Runner what do you mean by this:

EDIT: Info needed for later
Post 13 has the everest report. Its a Dell, XP home, WD 80gb drive.

Is this something for me or you ??

Now I'll have to wait until you tell me if that information is for me after the Check Disk is done.

Thank U !!!

Edited by simplee55, 18 November 2009 - 09:20 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
123Runner is talking about information he was looking for with the Everest report.
The information at the bottom of the report is telling you that there are certain files that
files that could be defragged
cannot be unlocked.... normally because the files are in use
file defrag canceled due to any number of reasons
No continuous free space means there is no free space that is in one large area to the end of the drive
Unmovable fiels is just that...normally system files and this is normal
cannot defrag certain files because they may be in use

I answered the above in the order they showed up on the summary to make it easier to understand. The report is fine as you will see this even in a new system. There is nothing to worry about with it. Now the first post does show that with all the programs added and uninstalled there was some fragmentation and that would be expected. It looks as tho the program did straighten this out so everything is good with that.
The total number of files fragmented would be due to the same as I just described.
I hope this explains everything for you.
How is the system running other then the internet browser issue?

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Morn rshaffer:

Thank you for explaining that for me.

System: So far so good, nothing out of the ordinary.

I wanted to mention that I am talking with a Tech who knows about the Opera browser, and hopefully, when this Check disk operation is done, I should have something from him.

This is what he told me, just wanted you to know:

Uninstalling and reinstalling isn't going to change anything, if it is an Opera problem you'd at least have to reset your profile - but it doesn't really sound like an Opera problem, it sounds like some security software may be blocking Opera. Check to make sure that whatever internet security software you use (firewall or similar) knows to allow Opera to run.

(If it were an Opera problem you'd probably see a crash dialog.)

However ... as far as the smallest thing you can do in Opera to see if it is Opera that's the problem, you'd have to remove the session file. Opera would be trying to reload whatever was the last website(s) it had shown, and since that may be what caused it to freeze the first time you need to prevent that.

What platform do you use (as in, Windows XP or Ubuntu 9.04 or OSX or whatever)? If I know that, I can tell you where to look for the session file.

Ok, I'm getting ready to run Check Disk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok it sounds like the Opera Tech is giving you some good advice. If you can follow up and do as he is requesting and then let us know if it helped.
Are you comfortable using Opera since you are asking him for help I would suspect you like it.
Let us know how it turns out and if his recommendations do not help then we can proceed with the Profile suggestion unless he assists you with that also. He may even be able to help you with the Firewall settings it sounds like.
I like what he is looking at as far as the possible issue causing the problem. Let us know as we will continue to monitor this topic for your reply.

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

I'm back up on my Desktop.

I start the Check Disk at 8:09 and
it finished at 8:53.

I waited until now, just in case it wasn't finished.
But looking at the light of the CPU, the light stopped flashing.

So I gather, I'm in the green to proceed.

I hope you or Runner wasn't looking for any kind of Report or Log, because it never produced one.

On the other topic of Opera, thank you, I will keep you informed as to the final results.

I don't know if Avast has a Firewall, but Microsoft does. I see it in my Control Panel.

And YES, I do like Opera, very much. I had never used Opera, but it's great. :)

Edited by simplee55, 18 November 2009 - 11:26 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope chkdsk does not produce a log that we need. The only issue is if it found and fixed any errors.
avast does not have a firewall so no problems there.
Windows firewall is another issue.
If the Tech from Opera is willing to assist you with that then by all means let him. He seems to indicate he knows where to go to look at the firewall settings so I would not be opposed to him following up on that.
Please keep us informed and if the problem is found we would like to know what it is.
If he does not correct the issue then let us know and we will continue. :) :) :)
BTW great ideal :) on calling Opera and asking them for help with their browser.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
BTW great ideal lightbulb.gif on calling Opera and asking them for help with their browser.

Listen, you Techs have put up with me long enough, I surely didn't want to add any more then you already have with me and this PC. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Simplee55 this is why we are here. Even though it can be frustrating at times we all enjoy this and do it as volunteers.
Please don't feel like you are being a problem and it is nice to see someone take the first step and ask for help from Techs who actually work on their own software.
We are not going anywhere till this is resolved one way or another for you.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
:):)

Thank U !!!!!