Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Virtual Memory !

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Your up early...What is it about 5am on the west coast?

I'll go back and do some looking on some things.

That was for you and Rshaffer61 as I looked for info. I edited the post as you saw.

Take a look here for the memory. Crucial.com
You have 512mb in there now. It is most likely 2 sticks of 256mb each. We can either go with 2 sticks of 1gb or remove a 256mb and add 1 stick of 1gb.
You do not have to buy at Crucial. I use Tiger Direct. Tiger Direct shows These. You do want the PC3200 because that is what you have in there.
Lets see what Rshaffer61 says on the memory.

As for the hard drive for you. Do you want it for backup of the main system. If so, I would suggest a USB enclosure with the drive inside. That way you do not have to open the case. You just plug it in. It would most likely need to be formatted, but we can help you with that.

As for Chris's computer....
He has a Maxtor 6E040L0 40GB 7.2K 2MB Diamond Max Plus 8 IDE / ATA Hard Drive
There are a couple ways that this can be handled. All require opening the case and hooking and un-hooking the drives.
Once the new drive is attached, then there is software that can be used to clone the drive (puts the entire contents of the old drive on the new drive).
If Chris/you have the original software, we can also reformat and load a new OS on the drive.

123runner

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
I'm to detailed.
Thats why I never get anything done.
You beat me to it again Rshaffer61.

Memory is 1st for you simplee55

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is 7:446 here right now and the east cost is a hour ahead of me as I am in central time zone.
I agree with your assessment of the memory situation and I would personally suggest two 512 megs stick knowing that finances is a issue right now with Simplee55.
the decision about Chris's system is if he needs the information on his drive or does he just want a fresh install?

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Runner:

I really hate to keep hammer at this, but Outlook Express is either corrupt, or it's Avast software that's keeping OE from loading.

OE opens, but it stalls and stops responding. I watch the Avast ICON in my Systems Tray, whenever there's any movement on this PC, that Avast ICON is going to spin. After I open OE, it spins and then stops and then the waiting game starts. Although I haven't gotten any ERROR messages, I feel if this problem isn't dealt with, it will be bad.

I've done several SEARCHES' for this problem with OE about UNINSTALLING and reinstalling and I haven't been able to find anything on that topic. Even on Microsoft's website, nothing, what am I missing.

Side Note: Because of the problems I've encountered with IE8, I first downloaded Opera and used that browser, than read about Google's Chrome, downloaded that browser, have been using this for several weeks now. Whenever you use another browser, you know you change the defaults. So I changed the default to Chrome and thought the reason why OE is not responding is because the default was changed, so I changed the default back to IE, and OE still takes a very long time to load.

I even sent several E-mails to myself from Yahoo to OE and I received them, but it took forever for the full Inbox to load up. You know what it reminds me of, an attachment loading on the Server, mainly some kind of pix downloading which takes a long time. I can't explain it no other way.

It's very frustrating to say the least.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Runner:

Ignore the OE situation for now, although I would LOVE to get this issue fixed, I have enough on my plate with doing the Memory thing. I hope after I increase Memory, that maybe OE will start to work.

After reading your post a few minutes ago, I have NO earthly idea what you are talking about. Were you addressing rshaffer instead of me??? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The memory increase will help with the OE problem Simplee55.
It will allow your programs to open faster and to have more open at one time. :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

You haven't answered my question.

Is $106.00 a good price for DELL's 1gb of Memory ???

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't think Dell is still using proprietary memory in their systems but if not then look HERE at Tigerdirect.
1 gig of memory and thats 2 512 megs sticks for $39.99 plus shipping :)
Shipping probably free or not more then 10 dollars.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Simplee55.....Post 421 was all for your information and to keep Rshaffer61 up on what is going on. All the posts are generally for you.

To straighten a few things out.
I do not believe that there is any way to fix OE6. I am fairly confident that it is corrupt. With that said, I will explain.
Some reading on OE6 and repairing it

To explain what the link states....
OE6 was part of IE6.
OE6 is no longer available as a download from the internet.
If you upgrade IE6 to IE7 and then IE8 you will still have OE6.
We know that your Internet explorer has some corruption.
A possible fix for Internet explorer can be fixed (and OE6) by doing a sfc/scannow.
We can not run a SFC (system file check) on your computer because you do not have an original XP CD (you also could not borrow one).
We can not download and install IE6. The install will bomb out at the install because you have a newer IE. It will simply fail.
A Google search for OE6 will show downloads for OE6 BUT it also includes IE6. Again you can not install it.

Your options are...

1. Windows Live Mail
2. Thunderbird

Is $106.00 a good price for DELL's 1gb of Memory

It is thievery!!!

Crucial has 2 sticks of 512mb = 1gb for $43.99
Tiger Direct has a 512mb stick for abt $20.00 each. You would need 2 of them.

You also want PC3200

123runner

Just got Rshaffer61 post on memory. You can use that one.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Guys:

I used the Link you gave me about the Memory, is this the one I need to purchase. I just want to make absolutely sure I'm buying the right one. And if not, please tell me where to go on the page or website and I will make that purchase.

Thanks again !!!

High Quality Memory Module
From component qualification through quality assurance monitoring, Kingston's ValueRAM solutions inherit Kingston's widely recognized expertise in building high quality memory modules.

ValueRAM is Kingston's high-quality line of 'by spec' generic memory designed with the price conscious system builder, assembler and white box markets in mind.

Kingston memory products are subjected to rigorous testing processes to insure their reliability, integrity and compatibility.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Memory Category: Desktop
Memory Type: DDR
Memory Speed: PC3200
Memory Speed MHz: 400MHz
Memory Size: 2 x 512MB
Total Memory Size: 1GB
Memory Modules: 2
Memory Channels: Dual
Memory Socket: DIMM
Memory CAS Latency: 3-3-3
Pins: 184

Edited by simplee55, 05 December 2009 - 04:21 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it's what I found to be the same as what Dell wants to charge so much for.
Let's see what 123Runner has to say also.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Good by me also.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
OK boys, here I go ....

I made the purchase. I don't know how many days it will take, will be here ASA I get it so we can get started.
:)

Edited by simplee55, 05 December 2009 - 09:36 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It takes 30 seconds to install memory... well ok longer to open the system up, take out old memory and put in new memory.
Maybe 5 minutes in total. You will see a speed increase from the start.
We will probably have to go in and adjust the virtual memory so it shows the new memory configuration. We can set it back to letting the system manage it since there will be enough to let it now.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Sounds great to me.

I remembered that I have a friend that has a PC running XP, so I'm trying to locate her to find out if she will allow me to use that CD so we can do the fixes on this PC that Runner spoke about yesterday, 12/5