Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory !

• Please log in to reply

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

Thank you for your help, and am SOOOOOO sorry to hear your not feeling well. Take care of yourself my friend, because YOUR the ROCK of this site. If I were closer, I would bring you some Chicken Soup.
:)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nah I'm just a tech who enjoys doing this alot. I appreciate your kind words but no worry I don't get sick very often. Please let me know if you found the Interface change I suggested. :) :)
BTW there are a lot better techs here so your words are appreciated a lot. This is why most of us do this is just for the satisfaction and a simple thank you. :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Here are three (3) snapshots so you can see what's happening.

Attachment No. 1 shows where the problem was after I clicked the ICON on my desktop. By the way, this pix is not the original interface.

Attachment No. 2 shows the instructions on how to stop the SKINS from working.

Attachment No. 3 shows the other Interface.

Every time I would click on the ICON on the desktop, the pix in Attachment No. 1 would open. If you look down at the bottom of that interface, you'll see "Test of Memory startup", it's trying to find a different SKIN. If I let that process go and not stop it, I would get an Error message after downloading these SKINS, I don't know why this would happen, but it would, just came from nowhere.

So after going thru this Test Memory Skins thing, another box would come up with several SKINS that I could click on to change the interface. Every time I would try to do this, the Face would never change and a message box would tell me ERROR again. Seems to me that Avast is corrupt too.

So what I had to do was contact Tech Support to see why this was happening and stop it. The instructions they gave me was, UNCHECK the skins under Tools, I did, but it didn't put the original interface back.

As you can see rshaffer in Attachment No. 2, the instructions, I can't get the original back because Skins was unchecked. And that means that there are certain things I can't do any longer, if you keep reading, it will say that.

As soon as we up the Memory in my PC, I'm going back to AVG, because I won't have to go thru this.

I'm grateful to have this PC, but it seems there is always something happening here.

I hope that this is not too confusing, I tried to explain it as it happened.

Edited by simplee55, 08 December 2009 - 10:15 PM.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Runner:

I'm having a problem with the VM again. Is there anything I should do before I receive the Memory, which will be delivered on Friday.

Thank U !!!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
simplee55

I just wonder if some of the problem is that you have corruption in the Avast program.

I installed avast on my other computer (even though I hate it) so I could look at what you are showing in the pictures.
The 1st picture is the 1st part that comes up. It is not testing the skins, but testing for virus's in memory.
When it finishes, it should not error out, but open up the default skin (unless you have changed it. The default is a grey looking radio type interface. I can't explain it any other way.
There are only 2 skins available unless you download more. I tried the other skin and it does not look anything like what you showed in the 3rd picture.

I went to the skin download location and there was nothing there that looked even close to what you showed.
The trick to downloading new skins is to "Open" the skin you choose. It will put the new skin in your choices of skins which is in the menu area. The program changes to the new skin immediately.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Runner:

I'm having a problem with the VM again. Is there anything I should do before I receive the Memory, which will be delivered on Friday. Runner, did you forget to look at my post about the VM problem???

Thank U !!!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
simplee55

simplee55

I just wonder if some of the problem is that you have corruption in the Avast program.

No I did not. I should have been a little more clear, but I had 1 foot out the door. If avast is not out of the system or is messing up, it can be the problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Runner:

I'm having a problem with the VM again. Is there anything I should do before I receive the Memory, which will be delivered on Friday.

Thank U !!!

What problem?
Are you getting low VM again? Id you are getting this message then once the new memory is installed we will go back to the VM settings and change it to adjust automatically. This will then fix the error message. Being the lack of memory as i said the fix we did was only temporary.
Sorry I haven't been around much but still fighting this.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Rshaffer61...previous to post 464, simplee55 was/is having issues with avast causing errors. Now she is getting VM errors. They might be related.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Runner:

rshaffer61 is not feeling WELL. Hasn't really been on since Monday. He peeked in and out a couple of times to help me with that Avast issue, and I communicated with him some, but really hasn't been on at all the last couple of days.

I wondered where YOU were and thought, "was it something I said", it probably was.:) But I know everyone is busy and I'm learning to be PATIENT ....

Oh, and welcome back. I feel much better that your here. :)

Edited by simplee55, 10 December 2009 - 11:02 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope and I understand the vm problem I just wanted to make sure it wasn't more serious.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

I installed avast on my other computer (even though I hate it) so I could look at what you are showing in the pictures.

I hate Avast also, in fact, I told rsahffer that as-soon-as we UP the Memory in this system, I'm going back to AVG9.

I truly believe that some of the problems I'm having are caused by Avast. Of course not saying all the problems, but these minor little annoying problems, I think Avast has something to do with it. I watch that little ball/globe in action and it appears that it slows things up some, don't know. rshaffer swears by it ... :)

As I mentioned to rshaffer, the Memory will be delivered sometimes tomorrow and he's not feeling well, what do you think, will you help me input the Memory chip or should I wait for rshaffer to get back up and running tomorrow, and both of you can help me.

I just received your PM. Thank you so much for being here with me. I truly understand about the weather back East, it's been cold as I don't know what here. For the SNOW levels to drop down 1,500 ft which is where I live, (which is on the other side of Pasadena, CA), so low here in the BASIN, Downtown Los Angeles. December 2008 and now 2009 was the first time I EVER saw snow on this mountain right next to where I live, and I've lived in this building for 14-yrs. In fact I believe, because the weather is changing so drastically, Los Angeles will soon have to invest in Snow Mobiles, no joke.

Edited by simplee55, 10 December 2009 - 12:03 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No snow here but just everyone in the house is sick right now.
The little globe turning means that the program is working and yes it does slow things down somewhat.. but especially because of the amount of memory you have it will stop everything while it works.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hey YOU:

Good to hear from ya!!! I knew you were still here among us ....:)

Yes, I know Avast slowed me down a little, and yes it does bring everything to a halt.

Question: Whose gonna help with installing the Memory ???

If your not feeling up to it, I can wait. I've waited this long and it's NO rush at this point.

Feel better ...

Edited by simplee55, 10 December 2009 - 12:48 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I'm around and it depends on the weather as to how far I venture from home. My job is to go to customer locations, but if we are socked in with bad weather, I won't venture far.