Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory !

• Please log in to reply

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
GREAT. Oh my, I would be in BIG trouble if I hadn't asked.

rshaffer:

I've had this PC in my possession for about 3 months now. I'm trying to really remember certain things on this PC so I will know when something is just not right, right.

And I'm sure that I'm just possibly overreacting about what I'm getting ready to say, but when I turn the PC on, I've noticed a YELLOW light comes on just before the GREEN light, to state that the PC is booting up.

That YELLOW light is fast and if you were not looking at the CPU, you would miss it.

Do you think because there's a YELLOW light showing up, could there possibly be something brewing ???

One more question:

How are pages generated for System Restore. The reason I ask, because after I did that 1st System Restore because of my POINTER acting up, I noticed that all of NOVEMBER is gone now. There is only December left, and it's not even the whole month of Dec.

Edited by simplee55, 21 December 2009 - 04:09 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yellow light is just the waiting time for a signal to get to monitor most likely from what you are descriving.
System restore could be that somewhere there is a system clean of restore points after a month or so.
Not sure about that one.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Alright ........ Thank you !!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
123Runner what do you think? Does it all look good to you now?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi simplee55 and Rshaffer61

Sorry for not responding sooner. I have been really busy with end of year at work, the holidays, my Boy Scouts functions and now in Canada for a few days.

The mouse issue sounds like it is failing. You proved that by putting in the PS2 mouse.
The yellow light going to green is probably nothing to worry about because otherwise you would be getting some type of error.
The older restore points will disappear as new ones are created. The number of restore points is based on how much space is allocated for that function. Restore points are not created every day.

123runner

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
HELLO 123Runner:

That's good to hear about the System, just trying to keep it healthy.

You have been missed.

I panic if you or Rshaffer61 don't respond. See you GUYS have spoiled me.

Canada huh, you should be able to WARM up some ....... :)

Thanks to BOTH of you !!!!

Edited by simplee55, 21 December 2009 - 05:40 PM.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hi rshaffer:

I have three (3) snapshots I would like you to see. I'm going to try and download ALL three, if they post, in SNAPSHOT No. 1, you will see the REVO Uninstaller's list. On the bottom left hand side of page there are 70 installations, this should not be.

SNAPSHOT No. 1

As usual, I downloaded one of my games and after game play I uninstalled it, when I opened REVO, I noticed 70, which shocked me because there should only be 66 installations. So I checked and rechecked to see if there was anything on that list that shouldn't be, other than that game, everything looks ok.

SNAPSHOT No. 2

There is the AutoRuns Program, see the highlighted Line, the name Kaspersky Lab. I thought it was a name under one of the games I install and play, but wasn't sure so I did a online search for that name.

SNAPSHOT No. 3

I saw a Forum under that name search, see what that Tech said to one of the members about that name. Tell me what you think.

I'm not trying to find anything wrong, but why would there be 70 instead of 66, something's not right.

Thank U !!!

Edited by simplee55, 25 December 2009 - 06:44 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Snapshot 1 I see duplicated entries so look that over and you may find the ones you are asking about.
Snapshot 1 the Kapersky is a AV scanner and if you did not install it then it is being installed most likely by the games to check the file for infections before install.
Snapshot 3 i'm not sure where it came from but kapersky is not a threat that I know of.
Kapersky Labs is actually one of the scanner malware Techs use to find infections.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Snapshot 1. I see duplicated entries so look that over and you may find the ones you are asking about.

Are you speaking about

2 of Adobe Flash Player 10
4 of Microsoft .NET Fra
2 of Microsoft Visual C... and Microsoft C+..
4 of MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB9... and
2 of Windows Media F

I would have never noticed the above if someone hadn't pointed them out to me.

Snapshot 2. The Kapersky is a AV scanner and if you did not install it then it is being installed most likely by the games to check the file for infections before install. So what your saying is, Kaspersky Lab is the one that's doing the checking for any Infections from their own games, before the install happens ??

Snapshot 3. I'm not sure where it came from but kapersky is not a threat that I know of.
Kapersky Labs is actually one of the scanner malware Techs use to find infections.

And the Kaspersky Lab. I unistalled whatever game that Kaspersky Lab came from, so should I delete that or just leave that alone from AutoRuns.

Thank U !!!

Edited by simplee55, 25 December 2009 - 08:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The duplicated may be because of left over from previous games. I'm not sure where it came from.
The game may very well have installed the kapersky but it is not a infection.
Uninstalling it shouldn't hurt anything but that is up to you.

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
So how do I uninstall it from AutoRuns, just uncheck it, or uninstall it the way I did AVG. If I uninstall it the way I did AVG, can you give me the program to do so ???

Also, about the REVO dups, did you see the same dups that I listed in my post ?? I don't want to uninstall something that may make my system stop working.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Uncheck it and that will stop the program from running. It won't uninstall it. Check and see if it is loading on Logon and if so then uncheck it. That will stop it from loading then.

2 of Adobe Flash Player 10 If duplicated exactly then uncheck one
4 of Microsoft .NET Fra If these are not the same version then you can't uninstall them
2 of Microsoft Visual C... and Microsoft C+.. these are different so do not uninstall either
4 of MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB9... and check to make sure they are duplicated names and if so then uninstall
2 of Windows Media F I can't tell if these are the same. One is Media F but the other doesn't show Media F

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
You know what, NONE of them are dups, their all individual downloads. That has NEVER happened before, because whenever any downloads are done, they seem to download over themselves. Was just kind of shocked to see more numbers of installations than usual.

I remember that 2 automatic downloads were done yesterday, 1 for Windows, and 1 for the Media Player.

the Kaspersky Lab, I will uncheck that one though.

OK, I feel much better now.

Thank you, just the same !!!!

Edited by simplee55, 25 December 2009 - 09:06 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and the updates may have been the reason for the extra ones now. Not a problem to worry about then.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Simpleee55

On now I will add my 2 cents to what you are asking.
To better clarify what you are seeing in Revo Uninstaller, I had to install it. What you think are duplicates are most likely not duplicates.
You need to change the VIEW of what you are seeing because the current view is cutting off the full name of the program.

With the program open....
Go to the upper left corner where you see FILE VIEW COMMANDS TOOLS HELP
Click on VIEW...in the drop down menu click on DETAILS (List may help, but there is still part of the program name missing on my view).
Now look at the program names.
You will probably see that the FULL names are not identical. If they are not identical, then they are not duplicates.

You installed a "AVP tool by Kapersky" in post 100 in the malware topic. It was to self uninstall itself. From what you are showing it is unclear if this is the same, or remnants left over, or one that got downloaded and installed by mistake.
When you are purposely downloading a legitimate program/game, the installers are very tricky with hiding other programs they want you to install.
You may have missed something at install, or as Rshaffer61 stated it could have been its own scanner scanning the file as it downloaded.

123runner