Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory !

• Please log in to reply

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
You will probably see that the FULL names are not identical. If they are not identical, then they are not duplicates. Yes your right 123Runner, rsharffer61 and I established that in POST #538. At the time, all I did was use my POINTER to see the FULL names of the ones that were thought to be dups, but they were not. As I told rshaffer61, this has never happened and was very surprised to see the increase in number of the Installations.

You installed a "AVP tool by Kapersky" in post 100 in the malware topic. It was to self uninstall itself. From what you are showing it is unclear if this is the same, or remnants left over, or one that got downloaded and installed by mistake.
When you are purposely downloading a legitimate program/game, the installers are very tricky with hiding other programs they want you to install.

You may have missed something at install, or as Rshaffer61 stated it could have been its own scanner scanning the file as it downloaded. As I thought about it, Kaspersky Lab is either a Producer or Creator of one of those games I play, can't remember which game it was, but almost sure about that. And as I mentioned to rshaffer61, that particular game must be searching for any critters on its own as it was downloading and installing the game.

Thank you for your input 123Runner.

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

I wanted to tell you that the Optical mouse that was giving me problems, I hooked it back up and am back in business using it again.

I just felt that it was not on its last leg and tried it and it works. I think what happened was I kept unplugging it while the PC was on. It wasn't until you told me that you can't do that, PC has to be off first.

So, just wanted you to know.

Thanks !!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) That is great to hear. :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hello rshaffer:

Question:

I how often should I do a Scan of AVAST and Ad-Aware, if any, and is it alright to do these Scans in SAFE MODE and if any infections are ever found from either or, how should it be handled considering I'm in SAFE MODE.

Thank U !!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Avast is a real timer scanner so it scans your system always. Anytime you download a file it scans it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Why are you in safe mode?

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
So I should never have to do any Scans with AVAST because of the real time protection.

What about Ad-Aware, should that be done or not.

Also, I was just handed one of these little Notebook jobs to work on, want to know if you will help me with this, but will have to come back on that, I need to do something with it first and will check in with you in an hour or less.

Thank U !!!

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hey 123Runner:

I just saw your post.

When I had my last PC, I was told by my Tech Support that I should do any Scans, unless that particular Program said NOT to do Scans in Safe Mode, to do them in Safe Mode, that is the reason I'm asking about the Safe Mode scans.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Which ad-aware program do you use?

As for safe mode, I personally have never done scans in safe mode. I feel that with the programs I use and the fact that I am carefull with programs I download and open that it is not necessary.

However, when you do scans in safe mode, there is a much greater chance of finding anything because there are virtually no programs running.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
I totally understand.

Believe it or not, I'm careful about where I click also, but because I do have a couple of sites I download from, you can't be too careful on that either.

I have Ad-Aware by LAVASOFT.

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

can you help please.

I have a HP All-In-One Printer etc. and I want to scan a couple of documents onto the system.

Can you tell me what type of file I should choose, you know, when I send the SNAPSHOTS here, I use that file for UPLOADING that snapshot.

These documents are going to be sent to a business and there just plain documents. Can you tell me what format to send them.

Thank U !!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Text documents, word documents, wordpad
It really all depends on what capability the receiving party has. Most likely I would send them as a Word document from Microsoft Word
Most any business will have some type of Office software to read documents.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would have to say it depends on the document and what the printer can do.

I usually use a pdf format.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
OK.

After I scanned the docs, I sent them to my Desktop and sent from there, like I do when I'm UPLOADING for here.

If the docs are not received or not received right, I will use WORD to do so.

Thanks again !!!

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

I was getting ready to go on the Net and accidentally hit the AVAST icon on my Tool Bar instead of the internet's icon.

Avast was getting ready to go thru that Memory check and I hit the stop button, when I did, I got a Blue Screen that read:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the 1st time you've seen this STOP error screen, restart your computer.

If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

1. Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing Video adapters.

2. Check with your hardware Vendor for any BIOS updates. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

Stop 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xBF8124E9, 0xEE41333c, 0x00000000)

Win32k.sys - Address BF8124E9 base at BF800000, DateStamp 4a8564c7.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.

Then it said, if you have any more problems, please contact your Tech Support for further help.

I don't feel that anything is wrong, but thought I should run this by you.

What do you think.

Thank you and

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!