Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory !

• Please log in to reply

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Runner:

I didnt have the chance to thank you for all your help yesterday, thank you for all your help yesterday ... :)

Anyways, I have IE, are there any instructions you want to give me about this ATF Cleaner or will I see when I go to the website.

simplee

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The directions are mainly for IE but the other browsers instructions are added in case you may being using them.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Okay, got that.

rshaffer, my system is not running as fast and smoothly as it did last night. What I'm noticing now is, it's locking up because it seems that there's a lot of movement going on in my CPU. the greem light is busy, so what could be the problem(s)???

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Also, I'm going to run my AVG and Adaware programs to see if there's anything there.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just as a suggestion I would uninstall AVG.
Install Avast for virus protection as it is a smaller program and not so resource hungry.
Also please run a new Autoruns report and attach it to your next reply.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
OK, I will uninstall AVG, I do whatever I'm told because your the BOSS .... :)

Just in case 123RUNNER sees this post, I ran the ATF Cleaner and it never asked about if I wanted to keep my passwords, and what I had to go thru to re-sign in here, it's not joke.

But, my system is running faster than earlier today, thanks Runner and rshaffer, couldnt do it without yeaaaaaaaa !!!! :)

By running the ATF program, it has FREED: 484.844 MBs, and I can feel it now. Because of the Cleaner, every time I come back I have to re-sign in, why ???

Will be back after I do the uninstall and install of Avast.

There is some things I want to get your expertise about !!!

Edited by simplee55, 01 November 2009 - 09:02 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and we thank you for the kind words.
Hopefully freeing up the system resources will allow everything to run smoother for you.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Simplee55
The ATF cleaner cleans out all the locations you saw when you ran the program. That is windows temp, current users temp, all users temp, cookies, temp internet files, history, prefetch, java cache, and recycle bin. Also whatever is under Firefox. It cleans the junk from the computer and frees up hard drive space.

When you run it again keep cookies unchecked. We recommend about once a week. You can also uncheck perfetch and history also.

At some point you need to run the Auslogics defrag. The hard drive is most likely fragmented and this will also slow the system down.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

And yes, thanks for the kind words.
It makes the experience of what we do that much more enjoyable.

123runner

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

I just installed the Avast program. Are there any special instructions I need to do in this program in order to get the optimal performance.

Also, just recapping, is it still your professional opinion that I do not download any large files. I have to tell you my secret, I love playing these Hidden Object games and I always try their games before I actually would purchase, but some of them can be large in nature.

Feed back please !!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem with trying them as long as they are free.
If after you have tried them and uninstall them make sure you run the defrag program to straighten your drive out again.

No special instructions for Avast except to make sure you register it which is free for a year.
After that year just reregister for another year.
Use the default settings and you should be good to go.

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Thanks Runner:

As I just posted, I just downloaded the Avast program and should I do the Defrag before or after I run the Avast program???

Because I've never ran Avast before, are there any instructions I need to give this program to get the optimal results of the scan??? After I downloaded the program, a box pops up and said it needs to Boot so it can run it's Reboot Scan?? So I dont want to do that until I here back from one of you guys.

simplee !!!

Edited by simplee55, 01 November 2009 - 09:24 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope it will setup optimized by default.
It will automatically update itself usually once a day.
Defrag doesn't matter if you run it before or after installation of Avast.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

Did you see my post about downloading large files, if you didnt will you please comment on that for me.

Understand about the defrag.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
answered at the beginning of post #55 but here it is again.
response on large file downloading:
No problem with trying them as long as they are free.
If after you have tried them and uninstall them make sure you run the defrag program to straighten your drive out again.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer -- Runner:

Do you want to see the finished Defrag results.

Here it is:

Sorry guys, didnt think that I had uploaded the attachment because I couldnt see it .....

Edited by simplee55, 01 November 2009 - 11:42 PM.