Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory !

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Service tag number should be on a sticker that is on the outside of the system.
Check the sides or the back.

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Yes, I know, but after I entered the Serv. Tag No., it still wants the infor that it's asking for. I called Customer Service and was told that, even though I know and have the No. I still have to walk thru the steps. Well the YELLOW banner is what's stopping me from going thru that process.

Is there anything I can turn off until after the Registration, and return it, back on, (whatever it is).

How do I stop that ??? (YELLOW banner)

Edited by simplee55, 03 November 2009 - 10:09 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I am not familiar with IE 8, but on previous versions when you get the error "Internet Explorer has blocked this site from using an ActiveX control in an unsafe manner. As a result, this page might not display correctly", there is a bar across the top of the screen in the window that you can click on and then put a checkmark in "allow".

You can read the following link. You will need to allow it to install what it wants so you can then get to the Dell site. It is added security.
http://windows.micro...ions[/size][/b]

123runner

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Runner:

Yes, I've done all of the above, I click on the place where it tells me to allow any downloading to to start.

But this one is different, there is an X but there is nowhere on that banner where I can allow downloads to take place.

But, thank you anyway.

simplee

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask you uninstalled IE8 completely correct?
Did everything work with IE then?
Is the Dell site the only site that gives you problems?
Have you updated IE back to IE8?

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
rshaffer:

Let me ask you uninstalled IE8 completely correct? Yes, I completely uninstalled IE8.

Did everything work with IE then? Yes, everything is great. I now have IE7 and my Yahoo's home page is staying put and I dont have to SIGN in every time I open up IE.

Is the Dell site the only site that gives you problems? Yes, I had NO problems up until then. Although YELLOW banners do pop up, but I'm always given the option to either download with RUN and INSTALL or to reject it altogether. I've never been given that opportunity will on Dell's site.

Have you updated IE back to IE8? No, and I don't want to either. But are you making suggestions here??? :)

I followed Runners instructions about how to stop Active X control by turning it off from the Microsoft's website, I did it, I REBOOTED the system, went back to Dells' site and got the very same banner.

Anyway, I finally got Ownership transfer done, by way of telephone.

rshaffer, I really need to be able to communicate with Dells' site though, just in case I have to use them in the future. Maybe you Techs here wouldn't be able to troubleshoot me for some reason or another, and I would have to go to DELL for help, I would be in BIG trouble if something would prompt that. I forgot to mention that I couldn't even use their online CHAT option because of that banner.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
GTG will assist you with your future problems but I'm not sure why the problem is existing.
Turning off activex may be causing a problem as some sites require it.
Go to IE
Go to top of page to Tools then to Internet Options
Scroll down list and make sure ActiveX is checked.
Apply or OK to save and shut down IE
Restart it and try again.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
GTG it is then -- got it.

I went back and put things back the way they were under TOOL, SECURITY because even though I'm having problems with DELL, I will have to take up this problem with them, they made this PC.

rshaffer, thanks for alllllllll your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just so I'm clear on everything. Is your system now running completely as you would like?
IE is working great with no issues?
No slowing down at all with your system?
No virtual memory messages?

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Just so I'm clear on everything. Is your system now running completely as you would like? Yes, everything is running good. I'm sure it will run even better after I get whatever bugs are in this system. Remember I told you that Avant found 52 objects and I still have not really dealt with that problem. Been concentrating on other PC problems.

IE is working great with no issues? Other than that YELLOW banner, working great.

No slowing down at all with your system? Well, I've noticed that the system does freeze up, not long, but that would be the only problem I see. The bugs I'm sure are causing this.

No virtual memory messages? No NOT at all.

:)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Yes, everything is running good. I'm sure it will run even better after I get whatever bugs are in this system. Remember I told you that Avant found 52 objects and I still have not really dealt with that problem. Been concentrating on other PC problems.

For this I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Simplee55, is it possible to take a screen shot of the error/ problem you are having with getting to the Dell site?
Maybe with that we can figure out what is going on.

123runner

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Guys:

rshaffer:

I installed HiJackThis and posted my log on the Malware posting. A tech by the name of Azarl answered and gave me extensive instructions what I should do. So were just starting the process of getting out whatever critters there are.

Runner:

I have attached 3 SNAPshots leading up to the YELLOW banner. I wanted to take you thru the process of how I get the banner. I will try and put them in the order it takes me thru.

The last SNAPshot is where the process ends. If you will notice the last page says: the SCAN WAS UNABLE TO FIND THE EXPRESS SERVICE TAG.

Please see attached !!!

:)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you left click in the information bar a menu will appear with some choices. Choose the appropriate one.
It could be anything from allow blocked content, install active X, or disallow. Those are the ones that come to mind.

Do not click on the X in the corner. Doing so will remove the information bar and you will have to start over.

These warnings are part of MS trying to make the internet more safe by helping to keep nasties out of the computer. This is where they are warning you and you have to choose allow, disallow, install, ignor (or whatever the choices are).

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :)