Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Crashes after trying to update Java

• Please log in to reply

jsfrey

jsfrey

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi guys,

I hope you may have a suggestion. A few weeks ago, I tried to update JAVA to 6.16 and things went south afterward. A couple of things I experienced. When accessing a few web sites, the browser would terminate. I started getting occasional BLUE SCREEN crashes. When I examine the event viewer/applications I see JAVA QUICK START ERROR

I stopped the Java Services, then removed Java ?.12. Things seem fine.

After a couple of weeks, I load Java Update, and presto, same troubles start again. The web sites I had trouble with (excite.com for one) I experience same problem. And now an occasional BLUE SCREEN crash.

I don't believe in using ccleaner and letting it cure all. I tried a limited view of it trying to clear out readily apparent JAVA leftovers, but didn't work.

Any ideas to get Java back up?

BTW - My system is a Leveno Thinkpad running Windows XP Pro

Many thanks -

Scott

Advertisements

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

I'm still looking around. CCleaner identifies a c:program files\java\jre6\bin\jusched jucheck & a javaw.exe

When I look at the directory under Program Files, I find 4 directories:
Java (2)
Java (3)
Java (4)
Java (5)

I've also used JAVARA and it had two items to remove which I did, but I haven't gone to try to download JAVA until I feel things are cleaned up.

Any ideas?

Greatly appreciative for any help.

Scott Frey

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Here's what I can find on my system related to java. Some of it is probably extensions to other programs like Adobe, etc. Are there things here I should wipe out?

see attachmentjava_files1.jpg

Edited by jsfrey, 31 October 2009 - 04:35 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello jsfrey.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

Please don't bump your own topic as it leads us to believe you are being assisted.
With that being said please do the following steps and let me know what the results are.

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
* Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
* Accept any prompts.
* Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
* Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
rshaffer61

Thanks for your response. I was kinda holding to see if there was further clean-up I should do. I had seen another post of yours regarding JAVARA and used it last night and it had two things it cleaned up (Don't recall precisely what they were)

Regardless, I proceeded just a while ago with JAVA RA and updated Java to 6.16. At this point, I have no indication of further problems. I can also access the couple of websites that previously dumped.

Let's hold this issue open til Monday evening. If no further trouble indications. I'll close it with my thanks.

Thanks Again for your review and reply.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and in this forum we don't close the topics regardless because the issue can come back at a later time.
If this does fix the problem then the steps we have taken will help someone in the future with a similar problem.
Let us know Monday and good luck.

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Well, I'm back to square one. After reloading JAVA 6.16 everything seemed to be fine. Booted up this morning and ended up restoring the system to the restore point I set after cleaning up my original JAVA update, or another words with system clean of JAVA.

Let me throw a wrench into the fire. A couple of months ago, I had a friend who had to have a Work.doc converted to MSWORKS format. In the process of trying to download the converter from Microsoft, my system crashed. I cleaned that up and everything was fine until the JAVA update. Don't know if there could be some lingering connection?

Today, when everything went south, my system was doing an incremental Leveno local back-up. It reported it had paused as Norton had its files in use, thus I went to component services and stopped Norton. It wasn't but 2-3 minutes when the system crashed. I went to safe mode, and looking at the event log, I notice a different event, SYS ERR 102 event 1003 versus the JAVA Quick Start error.

Regardless, I could not restore my system after several attempts until I went back to the restore point I set yesterday before reloading JAVA.

I'm stable now - Don't know if I should sit in this configuration a few days to see if I'm truly stable, but I had been stable for three days with JAVA removed.

Your thoughts and direction.

Thanks - Scott

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

Thanks again for sticking with me. Ran chkdsk /r

No apparent troubles found. Cleaned up 2390 unused indexes, and cleaned up 2390 unused security descriptors. Watching the report, Disk Volume clean.

Any ideas to pursue further?

Thanks - Scott

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
rerun chkdsk /r again
If no errors or fixes then we can continue

Advertisements

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ran chkdsk /r again as requested

Upon completion
Report included "Volume is clean" as it did first time

Looking at the log:

Cleaned up 3 unused indexes from $SII of file 0x9
Cleaned up 3 unused indexes from $SDH of file 0x9
cleaned up 3 unused security descriptors.

No apparrent problems.

Scott

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Cleaned up 3 unused indexes from $SII of file 0x9
Cleaned up 3 unused indexes from $SDH of file 0x9
cleaned up 3 unused security descriptors.

It is still finding errors and fixing them.
Rerun again please.

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Well - I'm at a loss. Ran chkdsk /r twice. After looking at the log and seeing:

Cleaned up 4 unused indexes from $SII of file 0x9
Cleaned up 4 unused indexes from $SDH of file 0x9
cleaned up 4 unused security descriptors.

I ran it again without opening any applications other than the event viewer I used to look at the log and came up with same result:

Cleaning up 4 unused indexes from $SII of file 0x9
Cleaning up 4 unused indexes from $SDH of file 0x9
cleaning up 4 unused security descriptors.

** Please note an observation: On the earlier cycle of doing chkdsk, upon system restoral, I thought I observed a secondary reboot. On this last chkdsk, I watched closely and it did not. BUT I have verified that observation with looking at system errors. On the chkdsk before last, the system took a syserr CAT 102 Event 1003. In looking further, the other chkdsk I did earlier today, there was also a syserr associated with that boot up, it was an APPLICATION POPUP Event 877.

Not sure if all that is relevant, but wanted to share anything I observe.

What is represented by the consistent "unused indexes"?

Thanks for working with me! You seem to put in a lot of time here.

I do need to do a couple of docs tonight, but will also continue on with any suggested actions.

Where do we go from here?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's do some memory testing even though I don't believe this is a issue I want to be as thorough as I can.
Since you have work to do you can wait on the following till you have finished.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Forgive me - I'm not a novice, nor have a ever been excited about windows software. I used to be a UNIX GURU at Bell Labs a few years back. Have built a desktop, but do not know how to verify if I have more than one stick on this laptop. When I look at Device Manager and memory allocation, I only have one reference to 2,048MB RAM

I also did not fully understand your last post regarding "Option A" Is that just run Memtest" and option B was you 11 step procedure?

Regardless, advise me either way. If running the 11 step procedure is the best way to proceed, I can manage that.

Apologize if I'm missing something that should be a bit more obvious.

Scott