Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BF2 crashes, please help me

• Please log in to reply

Diglett

Diglett

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello

My BF2 crashes to the desktop after i play for about 5-10 min, and after that it just crashes 10 sec in after i join a server. I reboot the computer and the problem just repeats itself.

I don't get any sort of error message and I have updated to the latest patch and the latest update of Punkbuster.

This problem started when i updated my Mozilla Firefox, so i tried uninstalling Mozilla and reinstalling BF2 but this problem didn't go away.

I have a great computer so I really shouldn't have any problem playing any game out there, but for some reason BF2 crashes, please help me!

I NEED A GEEK!!!! ;_;

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi Diglett,

Welcome to GeeksToGo :)

Sounds like something is maybe crashing in the background.

Please download VEW and save it to your Desktop:

Setting up the program
Double-click VEW.exe then under Select log to query, select:
  • Application
  • System
Under Select type to list, select:
  • Critical (Vista only)
  • Error
  • Click the radio button for Number of events
  • Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
  • Then click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log.
Load the log
  • In Notepad, click Edit > Select all
  • Then press Edit > Copy
  • Press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log to your next reply.

Diglett

Diglett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I fill in all the things you told me to, but when i click the Run button, it just says "VEW has not been coded for your language (Swedish)".

I tried changing my language to english but it still says the same thing. :)

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Ok are you changing your Regional language settings?

Eg Control Panel > Region and Language > Location Tab > English

Diglett

Diglett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!

I had a little trouble finding the tab but eventually I believe I did, but it's just not working...
I tried changing my location to Great Brittain and my language to English and restarting my computer but it just doesn't change anything, except the keyboard settings and the date and time down in the right corner of the screen...

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Ok no problem, stay calm and we will sort it :)

Ok I have asked the developer "Vino" about your problem as it is because there is a character in your event log that is not recognised by the program.

This could take some time but should provide us with an answer to your problem, as long as you are willing :)

• Firstly note the time and then open BF2
  • Allow it to crash
  • THEN WITHOUT RESTARTING...Please complete the following:
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.
    (Im not sure were the character will be at the moment so we will try a few places.)
  • In the left hand collum open the Windows Logs tab (as below)
    Posted Image

• Click on Application (as shown above)
  • Look through any event that have occurred since the crash
  • Double click on the event name and then copy the description (see image below)
    Posted Image

• Do this for each event.
  • Next click on the System Tab (in the top left under the Application tab you clicked earlier)
  • Repeat the process above for each error that occurred from the time you started BF" up until you stopped it

Then once you have done that, whithing Event Viewer please:

• Click Action > Save all events as
  • Click the drop down box next to save type as and select Texh (Tab delimited) (.txt)
  • Call the file DiglettBF2
  • Save it to your desktop

There are a few steps to do here. Take you time and if you have any questions however small please post back and I'll be happy to help.
Usually the tool can do this for us but with that extra character it can't. However you will be helping Swedish people to use VEW so thats good right? :)

Edited by rev_olie, 01 November 2009 - 04:09 PM.

Diglett

Diglett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yup, that's fantastic, I'll get right on it as soon as i get home tomorrow. It's getting late and I've got school tomorrow but I'll get right on it ASAP. :)

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
No problem take you time :) . There's allot to do so I don't mind waiting a while as you work your way though. Ad like I said post back with any problems

:)

Diglett

Diglett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hmmm... Oddly, it didn't crash this time :/ Well, I'll keep playing and if it does crash, I'll follow the instructions and reply about the results.

Thank you very much for your time, though I might need it in the future if it isn't too much trouble. :)

And btw, a message to everyone that reads this, feel free to continue where I left off! This would be useful to alot of people!

Edited by Diglett, 05 November 2009 - 05:47 AM.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Good to see its working ok.

Could I still request the event viewer list however. This is useful for the produced of VEW as there are characters in your event viewer he would like to add to the program for future support.

It should only take a few minutes.

• Click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.
  • Click the drop down box next to save type as and select Texh (Tab delimited) (.txt)

Thanks very much.

Diglett

Diglett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hmmmmm... I found an error that said BF2 crashed etc.etc. but when I try to upload it, I get a red box with a white cross in the down left corner that says "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file". :)

Any ideas?

Edited by Diglett, 09 November 2009 - 01:58 AM.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi Diglett,

Very sorry for the delay, PC user has been limited but hopefully I am back to normal.

The error you received is because you tried to upload an invalid file format.
Make sure you do the following (my instructions needed refining):

• Click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer
  • On the left hand side click Windows Logs
  • Click Application
  • **VERY IMPORTANT** > Click the drop down box next to save type as and select Texh (Tab delimited) (.txt)

Then repeat these steps for Security, Setup and system. Each time you will need to change the file name DiglettBF2, so change it to something like DiglettBF2,DiglettBF2-2,DiglettBF2-3 etc (just makes it easier for me to know were the file comes from)

Make sure when the file is on the desktop, it loks like a small white lined piece of paper and when you double click it, it should open in Notepad.

Also to make sure you are uploading them right
  • In your next reply click on Choose file (just below the writing box)
  • Navigate to the file on your desktop
  • Once found click Open
  • Then click UPLOAD.

Any other problems just say so. Thanks very much.