Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help reformating Hard Disk.

• Please log in to reply

nairdna89

nairdna89

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I really need help right now..
I was attack by a Win32.Virut.56 and it destroyed my Windows..
I cant enter windows, it crashed when it finish loading..
I tried entering sefemode but it rebooted before safemode finished loading..
Then, I inserted the XP disk and wait for it to boot from the disk.. but it wont boot from the disk..
i pressed all F1-F12.. none will let me reboot from the disk...
When i pressed F8 there are a few option to choose.. but none reboot from CD..
I reboot and press F2 but it ask for a password. I tried all the backdoor password, but none working..
Im using a laptop so removing the CMOS battery wont work.. i tried it all ready..
Luckily i have back up all my important data..

Spec :
BIOS - phoenix
Acer Aspire 3620
Windows XP SP3

Please Help me.. :)

Edited by nairdna89, 30 October 2009 - 09:28 PM.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go:)

If you have been infected with Virut as you say you have... then

You are infected with a polymorphic file infector. This infection can and will infect all the machine's executable files .exe, .scr, .rar, .zip, .htm, .html. Because there are a number of bugs in its code, it may create executable files that are corrupted beyond repair resulting in an inoperative machine.

Malware experts say that a Complete Reformat and Reinstall is the only way to clean the infection. This includes All Drives that contain .exe, .scr, .rar, .zip, .htm, .html files.

* Backup all your documents and important items only.
* DO NOT backup any executable files (,exe .scr .html or .htm)
* DO NOT back up compressed files (zip/cab/rar) files that may contain .exe or .scr files
* Reformat and Reinstall as outlined HERE

I suggest you do the following immediately:

* Call all of your banks, credit card companies, financial institutions and inform them that you may be a victim of identity theft and to put a watch on your accounts or change all your account numbers.
* From a clean computer, change *all* your online passwords -- for email, for banks, financial accounts, PayPal, eBay, online companies, any online forums or groups you belong to.
* DO NOT change passwords or do any transactions while using the infected computer because the attacker will get the new passwords and transaction information.

Ok,

Now do you know what key you need to push to access the boot order is... It's usually displayed on of the "F" keys, del, insert, or exit key...

See if you can change the boot order to CD\DVDrom first, then hard drive for the time being to start a reformat...

I hope this helps...

Also with the data you say is backed up... make sure that it is not also infected with Virut, this will all happen again if your not careful.

Good luck

Edited by cbarnard, 30 October 2009 - 10:40 PM.

nairdna89

nairdna89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OMG!!.. is the virus that dangerous..
Then im in deep trouble..

I tried to follow the instruction from the link u gave me.. but.. its not working..
I all the "F" keys.. none working.. The escape button do work but it only display the RAM check..
and at the bottom it ask to press F2.. i pressed it but.. it still needed password..
i cant change the boot order if i cant enter the boot menu..
i already checked my back up file on other laptop and its clean..

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi,

Yes this virus is THAT bad...

Please heed my warnings about your banking security, the creator of the virus could have your financial info already(but just not tried to use it yet)
Please just advise them of what I told you about the security breaches in the second half of my reply, about the virus...

Now you spoke of an XP cd. Normally Acer ships a new computer with either a recovery disk\or a "hidden recovery partition."

Have you reformatted this computer before?

If so do you remember if you left a hidden "recovery partition" in place?

Hopefully you did, Lets check right now...

To access the Acer recovery partition...Immediately after powering on press ALT+F10 and this should take you into it.

Once you have accessed the partition. follow the prompts to complete the recovery... :)

Good luck, let me know how this works for you...

nairdna89

nairdna89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This is bad.. i will take care my banking account ASAP.. Thanks 4 ur advise.. A lot..
Well my laptop is not new.. i think its been 4 or 5 years..
I did reformat i before.. about 2 years ago...

I tried pressing Alt+F10.. nothing happened.. it just directed me to option with safe mode, safe mode with network blah blah blah.. just like when pressing F8..
I pressed Alt+F10 more than 10 times.. it still direct to the safe mode option..

If im not mistaken... i have tried to repair my windows last year by using the XP cd..
It just booted from the cd normally...
And i only have 2 partition in my HD..
is the virus capable to block me from booting through the cd?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Cbarnard for the assist.
nairdna89 I can speak from personal experience as this is the little culprit that brought me to GTG back in February.
Please follow my esteem friends suggestions. There is no other way to rid yourself of this little menace. :)

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

I tried pressing Alt+F10.. nothing happened.. it just directed me to option with safe mode, safe mode with network blah blah blah.. just like when pressing F8..
I pressed Alt+F10 more than 10 times.. it still direct to the safe mode option..

Ok... Normally when a computer boots up it will give you several keys to strike by prompting on the screen

1.enter BIOS setup
2.one time boot menu

try and see what keys it tells you to push and try to set the boot menu to boot from the cd hopefully you can get your xp cd to work...

If im not mistaken... i have tried to repair my windows last year by using the XP cd..
It just booted from the cd normally...
And i only have 2 partition in my HD..
is the virus capable to block me from booting through the cd?

did you create the two partitions, or was it that way from the beginning?

Please download {Easeus Partiton Manager} from my signature below... when you have finished installing the program, Please tell me what the names of all the partitions in your computer.

and to answer your question...Virut shouldn't bother the main bios of your computer just your Windows OS.

Good luck

nairdna89

nairdna89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry for the delay..

I have fixed my problem..

First, i turned my hard disk into a external hard disk....
And i formatted the external hard drive in another laptop with the windows XP CD..

After that, i reinserted the hard disk into my laptop..
Maybe because there is no windows in the hard disk, it automatically booted from the windows xp cd..
And from there, i installed windows xp normally...

But the BIOS password is still there...
Anyway, it doesnt really matter.. at least i can use my laptop..

Thanks for all the support cbarnard.. :)

For those who read this.. please be really careful with downloaded apps or games.. never click Core10k.exe if u ever saw one in the file... cheers..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed Cbarnard and myself to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible