Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade to Win 7

• Please log in to reply

KCD86

KCD86

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I just bought a Dell Inspiron 537 with Intel Dual Core 2 Quad Q8200, 2.33Ghz,4MB/ 4GB DDR SDRAM, *00MHZ-2X2GB DIM,M / 500GB NCQ Serial ATA HD

It came with Windows Vista SP1 Premium Home edition 64Bit and 2 weeks later Win & came out. I am being sent a free upgrade is there anything I ned to be wary of when upgrading to Win 7.

I need to have Microsoft word on my computer as you know Micrsoft Word did not come with Vista

Advertisements

sokka

sokka

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
RUN THE WINDOWS 7 UPGRADE ADVISOR FREE FROM THE MICROSOFT WEBSITE.
It will tell you any problems you will get when upgrading to windows 7 and how to fix them.
Windows 7 does not come with Microsoft Word either; for that you need to buy Microsoft Office too.
I would say to back up your files just in case especially if you are going to do a clean install which wipes all your files.
If you have any games you will lose your progress unless you find and backup the correct save files.
Then you should be fine!

KCD86

KCD86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Thanks sokka

KCD86

KCD86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
sokka
I ran the WINDOWS 7 UPGRADE ADVISOR as you said and It said to remove program ATI Catalyst Control Center Version 2.009.0213.2137 re-instll later(?)
and Power DVD DX Version 8.2.5024 does not have compatibility info of this program

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Windows 7 also does not have a internet browser so you will need to get that also.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
PC World has a great review and "how to upgrade" to windows 7 this month.
Reviews and News
Windows is easy to install? Nonsense

As for MS word....Have you tried Open Office?

KCD86

KCD86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
WINDOWS 7 UPGRADE ADVISOR said to remove program ATI Catalyst Control Center Version 2.009.0213.2137 re-instll later(?)
What will happen if I do that to :ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB??
also, what is "Open Office" and where do I get it

sokka

sokka

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
KCD86 - apparently PowerDVD is not Windows 7 compatible. Apparntly PowerDVD 9 is though - could you get it?
As for ATI Catalyst Control Center Version 2.009.0213.2137 why dont you just reinstall it later like it says too?

Sokka

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
http://www.openoffice.org/

The ATI Catalyst Control Center Version 2.009.0213.2137 is for your graphics card.
Read about it HERE

I am not sure what will happen. Please wait for another response on that.

KCD86

KCD86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Thanks for the replies much appreciated :)

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hey,

The advise given now is great but I would like to add something to it.

There have been stalling issues when running the update which you should be aware of.
The following are 2 links from Microsoft:

http://social.answer...e5-dc128cc5f86c
http://support.micro....com/kb/975253/

I would advise you follow the steps under the Solutions tab on the second link to be sure of a smooth install. Also like has been said removing the display driver is a good way to go as there have been conflicts issues with later version of some ATI cards.
A good way to go would be to remove the ATI driver and then start the upgrade i.e make it the last thing you do. Likely if you were to remove it and go back then you will be left with a display problem.

Apart from that it should be fine. Also Internet Explorer is pre installed so that 1 less thing to worry about.