Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Long ethernet cable

• Please log in to reply

sokka

sokka

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
My computer is connected to the internet wirelessly at the moment but I would like to change to a hard wire connection. My BTHomeHub is in another room and to connect it to my computer I would need a 15m Ethernet Cable. Are there any disadvantages of using a long cable?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am using a 50 foot cable on 2 of my 4 computers with no loss of signal or speed.

sokka

sokka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks. BTW, 15m=50foot, so I will have exact same as you!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have mine running from system, up the wall and then through the attic to another room where it comes down the wall and plugs into my router.

sokka

sokka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
That is exactly the layout I will be having too.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :) :) :)
One word of caution though.
If you plan on securing the cable at all during all this I suggest you get the little cable hooks a cable installer uses.
They screw into the wood and the cable itself is secured by the clamp being squeezed when screwed in.
This will keep a possible cutting of the cable happening.
Another ideal is in the attic you could purchase a length of pvc pipe and run the cable through that.
This would keep any of those little furry friends if they are around from chewing on it. :) :)

sokka

sokka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Sorry, but what are the furry little friends?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Mice, Rats, Raccoons
Anything that may be a rodent I guess.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the functional limit on ethernet cables (cat5, cat5E, and cat6) is 100 meters (roughly 300 feet) after than you need some form of booster/repeater in the mix to avoid signal loss....depending on what's being pushed across the line and what cable standard you're using (the cat stuff) you can sometimes get a good enough signal up to 150 meters but it's not suggested if you actually want your data to get to where it's going...

ethernet communication is very low voltage so it can only travel so far down the copper

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Interesting information Dsenette and this is a good tidbit to keep stored away in the dark corners of my empty brain cavity.
:) :)

sokka

sokka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks guys

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and hopefully we have taught you a thing or two during this topic.
Let us know how everything works out.