Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer suddenly running really slow

• Please log in to reply

korter

korter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
OK, I tested each ram module separately and with both I was able to able to surf the web without freezing.

One seemed to have more trouble than the other, I had to end firefox process but the computer didnt completely freeze

Again, my hardrive indicator light went solid for a few minutes like something was running, this happened with each ram module as well as with both together.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
oK it seems you may have a faulty ram module. Try running the memtest on each module separately. Does it come up with any errors on either module?

korter

korter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I ran 6 passes on each module and there were no errors

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok let look at the browser itself. Please follow the appropriate instructions below for your browser.

* Go to Start and then to Run
* Type in firefox -safe-mode
* A window will popup asking things that you want to disable or reset (eg: reset/disable bookmarks/toolbars, etc.)
* Click Disable all add-ons and press Restart for the changes to take effect.

Let me know if Firefox runs faster now.

To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8
1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

korter

korter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Firefox in safe mode without add ons starts out normally, I can go to any web page but after about ten minutes it starts slowing down a lot
and sometimes stops responding for a minute. I notice that the slowing of firefox corresponds with PF Usage rising steadily in task manager, it doesnt drop until I close firefox
whatever that means.

hard drive activity also picks up and I hear the fans speed up while this is happening.

Explorer without any add ons seems to run normal as far as I can tell.

Edited by korter, 11 December 2009 - 06:34 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How much total ram do you have?
Sorry I'll check into some other resolutions but I'm going to be gone for a bit.

korter

korter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
1 gb of ram

edit: was just listening to music on winamp, then opened IE and computer completely froze and made one continous beep. Had to shut it down.

This computer is driving me crazy!!

and thanks for your help.

Edited by korter, 11 December 2009 - 07:17 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's see if we can find a problem with the file system. Please follow the next instructions and let me know the results....

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

korter

korter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I did scannow and it did ask for the cd but it also asked for cd's that I dont have

it asked for windows xp professional cd2

and windows xp professional service pack 3

so I changed the SourcePatch setting and used the cd I had

it took about 20 minutes to finish.

Restarted the computer and Im still having the same problems.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I just don't know anything else now.
We have cjecked the software and the hard ware so it has to be something with the OS.

Advertisements