Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big school project

• Please log in to reply

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I have to do a big project called a capstone project for my tech center i attend. it has to have a strong connection to anytype of computer technologies. i thought about writing a website in HTML (a very basic one of course, as i have never learned about HTML before now), or maybe a simple program in C++, although i know nothing about that either, just seems like something interesting. oh, and i am a junior in high school, so im not extremely advanced, but willing to work. So if you have any advice on these (i have been reasearching HTML at W3schools.com ) or a suggestion of something i could do please post it. Please Understand, I am NOT trying to cheat on this, i am simple looking for ideas on what to do, or advice on one above and am simply trying to use my resources.

Advertisements

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
If you do not have knowledge in C++, I would not advise you to do your project about it, as it is much harder than HTML :) .

What you might do is for example a webpage in HTML, or a forum or ... There are many possibilities :)

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
thanks for your input. i had considered a forum, because then i could explain the roles each person plays in it, like administrator, moderator, etc. but i wasn't to sure how to write one or how hard it would be, because we cant use any software to help us, like adobe's dreamweaver.

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Sure, no problem.

I remember I had the same project as you actually, and I already had a forum... so that came in handy :)

You may use Proboard software, personally I think it's the best one out there ( www.proboards.com )

There are others out there as well obviously, just pick the one that best suits you :)
(if you plan on doing the forum)

good luck -

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
oh okay. So is there a special HTML template code for forums?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I suggest you write a simple C++ program... although the learning curve is steep, keep with it.
Here is a prog to generate "random" numbers:

// Random Seed Program Using Function.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application.
//

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
static unsigned long nSeed ;
char choice;
unsigned int PRNG()
{

// Take the current seed and generate a new value from it
// Due to our use of large constants and overflow, it would be
// very hard for someone to predict what the next number is
// going to be from the previous one.
nSeed = (8253729 * nSeed + 2396403);

// Take the seed and return a value between 0 and 32767
return nSeed % 32767;
}

void Complete ()

{cout << "Enter starting seed count" <<endl;
cin >> nSeed;
cout << endl;
// Print 100 random numbers
for (int nCount=0; nCount < 2000; ++nCount)
{
cout << PRNG() << "\t";

// If we've printed 5 numbers, start a new column
if ((nCount+1) % 5 == 0)
cout << endl;
}
cout << "These are 100 random numbers derived from your chosen seed" << endl;
cout << "Press enter to continue." << endl;
cin.ignore ();
cin.get ();
}
int main()
{
do
{
Complete ();
cout << "Do you want to try again? (Y or N) ";
cin >> choice;
}while (choice != 'N');
return 0;
}
Enter it in Visual C++ and compile... it took me about a week to really understand the code here.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
i would love to write in c++, even if not for the project, just because i think itd be cool to know ho to do. but i dont know where to go to learn it. do you know of a good website. also, i don't know how to run it. do you have to have a special program to run it?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This is a good website: http://www.learncpp.com/
You use a program like Visual C++ or Dev-C++ to write, and compile your programs.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Thanks for your input :)
i have been reading some, and downloaded Windows 2008 express last night. i hope to start working soon. anymore suggestions? maybe on a simple program i could build?

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
oh and thank you bartblaze for trying to help, and i do like this site. however, someone else chose to do HTML before me and sadly it is kind of looked down upon to do the same project.

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Sure, no problem.

In regard of what you can code: how about a calculator ? It ain't that hard and it's useful .

(of course with proper design and functionality)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You can program a TI-84... try writing a program to automatically do the quadratic equation... its really easy.
For C++ start by writing a simple "Hello World" program.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
that does seem like it would look good, and i actually did break my TI-83+ last week, well i don't know what happened, but none of the buttons work on it now. So that could be a good idea. i kinda did the hello world thing, but it was just copy and paste. im still reading though. :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
You BROKE a TI-80 series graphing calculator! Shame on you! :) :)

:)

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
i agree, i was actually very sad, and didn't even know it was broke till the middle of a pre-calculus test. i don't think i really did anything, just slowly all the buttons stopped working. i really don't want to have to buy one, but i guess that's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes. but if i don't buy one before i really get into this project(because i don't have a hundred bucks to just go spend on it, especially near Christmas time), then i will probably try to write a calculator for it. simple, or somewhat, and universally used.