Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloading

• Please log in to reply

Lonzell

Lonzell

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have windows xp. Whenever I try to download or install any applications it gives me an error. Ex. i try installing flash player & it goes thru the process and says "unable to register". someone made changes to my pc to block downloads, but now i can't undo those changes. tried system restore & trying resetting internet settings to manufactor defaults. any susggestions?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How did someone make changes to your pc without you knowing it?
Is this a company system?

Lonzell

Lonzell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no it's a home pc, but i bought the computer 2nd hand

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
SO the changes were made prior to you buying it?
Now the problem is to clear the flash player installs so you can do a fresh install you need to download the uninstaller.
Problem is you can't download it.
Do you have access to another system where you can download the needed programs we are going to need?
If so then please go HERE and get the uninstaller for Windows.
Run it, reboot and then go HERE and get Flash Player 10. this is the newest version.
Install it and let me know how everything is working then.
The problem is thta downloads are blocked it is the fact the service is not registering. Most likely due to conflicting versions installed.

Lonzell

Lonzell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried this and the uninstall showed successful. but when i try to reinstall, it still goes throught the process but still gives the error "failed to register"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the make and model of your system?
Do you have a Genuine Microsoft XP installation cd?
It seems there is something missing in the system files that is not allowing the registration to take affect so we can try a SFC /SCANNOW depending if you have a XP cd or not.