Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Kodak 5100 AiO Printer - Driver Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply

Smithscomputer

Smithscomputer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
2 long days ago, my Kodak AiO5100 printer was working fine on my Dell Win XP Home machine, as it has for the past year or so. Then I got a prompt to upgrade the printer software. I agreed, but the install from Kodak's site failed to complete. Three complete uninstalls/reinstalls of Bonjour and AiO software (using the Kodak Clean Utility and rebooting in between) and 3 hours with Kodak tech support checking the obvious (cable, ports, clean reinstalls, etc), little progress - the printer still would not reappear as an available printer and I got a "corrupt file or folder" message when trying to install the drivers.
So I uninstalled, performed a rollback to before the upgrade, then reinstalled the original Kodak software from the original CD, not connecting the printer until after the software install had completed. This got me partial success, but left a new mystery:

The driver installation process now completed properly, the printer appears in Control Panel/Printers and faxes, the drivers appear correctly in the Server Properties dialogue, the Kodak home center software says the printer is connected, and I can even print a calibration page successfully from the Kodak software …

BUT I still can’t print from any other program (”Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup” as soon as I hit OK in the Print dialogue, with instructions to add a printer or set a default printer or check drivers) AND if I right click the 5100 in 'Printers and faxes' I get a warning that drivers are not installed (if I accept the invitation to install drivers, the process apparently completes successfully, but the problem is not solved – next time I right click it still says the drivers are not installed and I still can’t print; if in the printer properties dialogue I go to “Advanced” and select a different driver, apply it, then re-select the 5100 driver and hit apply, it loops back to the “printer driver is not installed on this computer” warning and asks me to install again).

So, in sum, the printer works, the USB cable and ports are OK, I have tried the latest software from Kodak and Apple's sites as well as the old software from the Kodak installation disk, the drivers are present, the Kodak software reports the printer connected, Windows told me my hardware was successfully installed, the printer shows in device manager…but somehow the drivers are still “not installed” when I try to print. Somehow, installing the drivers does not stick even though it appears they installed.

Any suggestions as to what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help,
David

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have done everything I would have had you do already..
the only other thing I can think of is to uninstall the printer drivers and any other printers you may find using this procedure to show hidden devices...
after you uninstall the drivers...leave the printer connected and reboot...let windows "find" the new hardware and then see if it will install the drivers again...also launch notepad and copy a few lines of text to it and then try to print it

Ever have those drivers or devices that just won’t go away even though you’re sure you’ve uninstalled them? Or, say you replace your old 100Mbps network card with a faster Gbps adapter. But, you can’t re-assign it the same IP address because your system insists there is still an adapter installed with that same IP address and you forgot to remove the driver before removing the old card (which is now in your little brother’s pc)?

To get rid of that unwanted driver, device, or service:
1) click on Start then Run
2) Type in cmd press enter
3) At the cmd prompt, type in set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1? press enter.... (Note that nothing seems to happen–this is ok. We are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help us to see hidden devices)
4) On the next cmd prompt line, type in devmgmt.msc and press enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console.
5) In the Device Manager Console, click on the View tab select Show Hidden Devices.

Now, as you expand the different drivers and devices in device manager you will see not only the items that Windows currently detects as installed on your pc (these are the usual items displayed), but you will also see drivers, devices, and services which have been loaded in the past but were not uninstalled or are not currently started. You can find your offending device, right click, and choose uninstall... to remove it from the system completely.

Be careful though; you should note that non-loaded devices, drivers, and services are grayed out, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that you should delete all of them. Only remove items you know you don’t need. And, be careful that you don’t change too many devices or you might need to re-activate your Windows installation.

Last thing, if you accidentally exit the Device Manager Console you will need to start over again at the cmd prompt. To close the cmd prompt window, type in exit press enter

Works with Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003, all SP levels

Smithscomputer

Smithscomputer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Many thanks for the reply - and great to receive one that has new information beyond what the Kodak folk told me. I'll give this a try as soon as I get time and courage to run the install process again and let you know.

RON5472

RON5472

• Pip
  • 1 posts
FIRST I APOLOGIZE FOR THE CAPS. HALF BLIND N CAN'T C OTHERWISE MY KODAK 5100 AOI PRINTER HAS NEVER HAD UPDATES 2 DRIVER NOW I'M KINDA SCREWED IT WON'T WORK AT ALL DOES NE ONE HAVE A CLUE WHERE I CAN GET NEW UPDATED DRIVERS FOR IT AT I'M NOW RUNNING WIN. 7 PRO.64 BIT MY OTHER PC (DESKTOP HAS BEEN DOWN 4 NEAR A YR. NOW SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME THANKS A MILLION A DISABLED VETERAN IN DISTRESS RON5472

loserna

loserna

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello, I using this driver for my kodak 5100 printer