Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fans/HD's spin, but no POST or bios

• Please log in to reply

specko

specko

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm pretty experienced with building but this problem has me stumped.

I upgraded my main desktop machine and pulled the following parts out:
1. AMD X2 64bit 3800+
2. ASUS A8v motherboard
3. Two 1GB DDR PC3200

I'm adding to that:
4. Earthwatts 580(?) PSU
5. Two 512 MB DDR PC3200
6. ATI HD3650 (or Nvidia 6900 GT or something)
7. 32 GB Patriot

After plugging it in the mobo health light turns on.
Power button starts all the fans spinning, the CD Rom starts spinning, but I never get a POST beep, and nothing appears on the screen.

I started trouble shooting by removing all but the CPU, RAM and Video Card but again no change.
I then remove the video card, no change.
Remove the RAM leaving on ly the CPU in and then I get 1 long, two short beeps. (Good!) that means it knows RAM is missing.
Plug the ram back in and again nothing.

So I read about this EZ-Flash feature. I burn a CD with the rom and put it in the CDROM. I then hit the power button and press ALT-F2. EZ-Flash appears on the monitor and proceeds to update the BIOS from the CDROM. After a reboot however, no change.

I've also tested it with a MUCH stronger power supply that I had used previously with these parts but got the same, fans spinning and no video.

I believe that the mobo is fine since I was able to load from CD, display video and detect missing RAM, but what else? Could it be the CPU has somehow gone bad? It was working a few days ago.

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Was the machine working before you started messing with it? What is a 32GB Patriot? Is this a usb flash drive?

specko

specko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yea, the system was running great...
Sorry its a 32GB Solid State Drive.. I was thinking of using it as a fast read/access OS for windows media center.
I'm quite confident that all of the components are good, I'm only not sure about the CPU and mobo.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

yea, the system was running great...

If this is true, then whatever you did "after" you messed with it must be causing the grief. I doubt it's the mobo or CPU.

Reconfigure the machine to how it was to see if you can get it operational again. Be sure to disconnect the 32GB Patriot as it might be messing with your bootup.