Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Won't turn on - lights come on then shut down

• Please log in to reply

AngelaKS

AngelaKS

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having an issue with my HP Compaq laptop. I had this same issue around six months ago and by some miracle, it corrected itself around a week later.

However, the issue has come up again.

I'll hit the "power" button and the lights will turn on for a few seconds. Sometimes it shuts down a second or two later, other times it'll stay lit up for roughly thirty sections and during this time I can hear the fan start up a bit. But then it all shuts down and I'm back to square one again.

I was told this issue could be caused if windows was making a critical update and the update was interrupted partway through. Not sure if this is just a theory or if other people have experienced the same.

I tried taking out the battery and just plugging the power cord in -- no luck.

Someone suggested taking out the battery and the power cord, holding the power button down for 45 seconds, then attaching the battery and plugging the power cord back in... no luck there either.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Laptops are difficult to troubleshoot if it's hardware related... and this one does sound hardware related. A lot of things can cause what you're experiencing... from ram, to hard drive, to motherboard. If it's shutting down right away, then it's most probably not a heat problem. Also from the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like it's a Windows problem due to how fast the shutdown is occurring.

The first thing I need is the FULL model number of your laptop, and Service tag, if available. This information should be available on labels on the bottom of the laptop. Can you tell me if your computer at least boots to bios? When you first turn on your laptop, you might see a bunch of white text on a black screen... this is the bios booting up. Do you see anything like this?