Hi this is my first post iv been at this for 2 days and the problem seems to be resolved. I have windows xp home edition.
I stupidly restored my pc, although its good to clean it out once in a while but i took the casing off and cleaned the ports out with air to eliminate dust, still nothing, tried all the updates for drivers and every other driver, nothing. I saw a post that said to switch off the pc and unplug the power cable. Then push the power button to remove any static and power that can be held inside. Then i unplugged it at the wall, left it for about 15 minutes, turned the pc back on and plugged in the usb which is my headphones and it worked. Something else i noticed after restoring the pc a second time i got a new update which was an nvidia audio codec driver update which i didnt get the first time. It said 'no drivers are installed for this device' in device manager so it may be relevant. Hope this helps i know how frustrating it is
If it goes again i will scream lol.
Another thought i tried another usb (for wireless mouse and keyboard) which was fine so i knew the port was not faulty.. i had also contacted microsoft about it and after that is when i got the new update... go figure.
Edited by meepmeep, 22 November 2009 - 11:02 AM.