Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help with drivers

• Please log in to reply

tcollie

tcollie

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I hope I'm putting this in the right place, I have and older alienware laptop and it is not supported by alienware or dell and I can't find all the drivers for the motherboard. the computer was fast and worked great tell a friend of mine let his kid play on the net with it and it got all jacked up, after a couple days of trying to clean up the malware and viruses it was suggested to me to me to reinstall the OS, so I did and got some of the drivers but now it is the slowest computer I have ever seen. is there anything I can do? all is has on it is alienware area-51 model 5629D, it has a 3.06 processor 512 mem (2x 256) ati 9000 is about all I know about it. it is up and running with the new OS but it is really slow, everything works just real slow.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

Take a screenshot of the Device manager making sure all entries can be seen.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

tcollie

tcollie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have been in Device manager and everything is working no Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's I'm on another computer now but I can get you a screen shot of it in a few hours

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE to the Alienware official drivers page.
The first 3 are the drivers for your Area 51 system. Since the Motherboard chipset is normally the most important I suggest you download and install it first.
Let me know how everything works after installing that first.

tcollie

tcollie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I know they ain't the right ones, I have been there and downloaded all for my model 5620

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then when you reinstalled the OS did you actually blow away the partition, format and install fresh or did you do a system recovery?
Destructive would have formatted drive and installed back to factory settings.
Non destructive would have only repaired missing or corrupted files.
Second of all if no issues in device manager then I'm confused as to what drivers you say you are missing.
Please do the next steps so that we can check your hd.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

tcollie

tcollie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have both pictures but I can't seem to get them in here, and sorry if I wasn't clear the problem is now that it has a fresh OS it runs much slower than it did before, opening games, files, Internet, it's like it is a slower PC. just to be safe the HD has been taken out and put in a usb devise and checked for viruses and malware, spyware and it was clean, it is just much slower then it was before we did the fresh install?

tcollie

tcollie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
got it lol here they are

Attached Thumbnails

• disk_management.JPG
  • device_manager.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So is the drive now back in the laptop or are you still booting to the usb device?
How was the drive checked for virus's?
Was the install fresh or repair?
According to the pics everything is working fine. The problem then has to be software related. Try the following steps and we can take a look at some things.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem