Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

where to locate a wireless router in my house

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I'm planning out a wireless network to be installed in my one story house and wondered if locating it in the attic would extend my service farther outside the house. I hear numbers from 100 to 500 ft for a .11g setup. 500ft would be more than enough to cover the whole property but I doubt that I'd actually see that performance.
SO I thought that since it is a radio link essentially, I would gain by raising the router above the interior walls by installing it in the attic to get less mass between it and the outside. Anyone think that is a realistic improvement? Or is a repeater or booster more feasible?
Also the attic gets stupid hot in the summer, would the router greatly suffer from over 100 degree operating temps?
Drew

Advertisements

mellison

mellison

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Not sure if that would help or not, (attic that is) but in my experience I have a two story home and have the wireless located in the second floor and have no problems throughout the house including the basement. Hope this helps...

Also I would think the heat in the attic would be a detriment.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
The heat worries me too. Some of the testing I saw online included a set operating heat for all the routers and since heat affects all things electrical I'd guess greater heat would slow down the router's internal cpu. I'll just keep it as it is, as so far I've not found any problems. Except that XP won't remember how to connect to the network. I have to go into the network set-up and re-check the "allow Windows to manage network setting" box everytime I start the laptop.