Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help connecting to an existing network / gateway

• Please log in to reply

Kai

Kai

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I've just upgraded my computer with a new motherboard and CPU, and now I can't connect my computer to an existing home network, or the internet through the network.

I use WinXP Home connect to a router which is connected to a computer which acts as a gateway to an ISDN internet connection. I don't think my problem is with that computer or the ISDN connection as there are already two others connected to it and they have no problems.

I can see my network card in the System properties window and it's working alright. In TCP/IP settings I have tried it set to "detect settings automatically", and that makes the network status say "acquiring network address" indefinitely. I have tried it with the IPs that I had before I upgraded, which were 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 - and then it says that another computer on the network has the same IP.

I've never really done any networking before and my roommate who set it up has moved out :tazz: Can anyone help me?

- Kai

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello Kai,
Try setting your IP to 192.168.0.2 -- your network would still have your previous IP recorded, for your previous (unupgraded) computer, and therefore it will not allow you to use the same IP Address.