Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turning indexing service back on

• Please log in to reply

Roberta W

Roberta W

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have the opposite problem of many of your users. I have thousands of Word files and badly need to use the search function to find names and phrases. However, the version of Windows XP I have (I bought the computer used) has the index service disabled. I have followed instructions to turn it back on, but the problem is that when I look in "Services" I cannot find indexing listed. Could my system not have this function at all, or could it be listed under another name? I've tried a couple things listed on XP's Help menu and can't get anything to work.

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Before complicating things by trying to fix that problem, have you considered maybe using a third party program that can be even better then Windows's indexing service?

Try out the Everything Search Engine by voidtools. Download it HERE. It runs much faster than the indexing service does, and it doesn't run all the time so your computer will not be slowed down.

Roberta W

Roberta W

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did download Search Everything and it works fine, thank you very much. Also, I am wanting to search for words and phrases that occur WITHIN files. This service does not provide this. I have another computer, a laptop that runs Vista, that does this very efficiently. So I guess I could convert my main, desktop computer to Vista to get this service, or---? Any way to do it within Windows XP?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I use SuperFinder: http://www.softpedia...er-Finder.shtml

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
I just ran a quick google search and came up with this: http://www.monkeyjob.com/FileMonk.html

It says HERE that it can do what you describe, but I've never used it so I don't know how well it does its job.

Roberta W

Roberta W

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I downloaded Super Finder and it works very well... Thank you very much!

Roberta

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Cool :)