Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard upgrade, XP repair install didn't work, now what?

• Please log in to reply

KraigK

KraigK

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I took a neighbor's old Dell and took the hard drive out and put it in an older AMD system I had. Didn't want to do a fresh install since in a few months I am building them a new system, this was just to get them through as the Dell is a dog.

I used MS's official procedure to upgrade the mobo, with is basically a repair install, and was getting a 0x7E STOP code. So I did a disable intelppm at the Recovery Console, no go. I found this post on this site and tried restoring back to the day before I started this. Still getting a BSOD after the disable intelppm but now it's 0x7B and second parameter is 0xC34. Some searching tells me this may have something to do with the IDE drivers. So my next step was to load the IDE drivers during setup. But I thought I'd post to see if this was the best next step.

Old PC was a Dell. New PC is a Biostar TForce 6100-939 with an AMD CPU. WinXP Home SP3 was on the machine when I started and the CD I am using is XP Home SP3.

Help me save this one!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, if I boot into safe mode, it says "setup cannot run in safe mode". Also, when I boot off the XP CD it says an upgrade is in progress.

Edited by KraigK, 02 November 2009 - 03:50 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Isn't going to work. The Dell will be looking for mobo info the system you installed the old hdd in won't have.

Also, what you are doing ios illegal and against Microsoft's EULA. The Dell install is OEM and is forever married to the original system even if that computer is junked.

Murray

KraigK

KraigK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Isn't going to work. The Dell will be looking for mobo info the system you installed the old hdd in won't have.

Also, what you are doing ios illegal and against Microsoft's EULA. The Dell install is OEM and is forever married to the original system even if that computer is junked.

Murray

There are many, many posts on the net about replacing a mobo without reinstalling Win, MS even has an official procedure. So are you saying it won't work because the old system was a Dell? I don't believe it, isn't that the point of a repair install, to find the right hardware? Also, it has a retail version of XP, it was repaired in the past by someone else and a copy was purchased at that time.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Only if the mobo replacement is the exact same and going back into the same system. You aren't doing that so the install is illegal.

If the old system had XP on it before, use that cd to do the repair.

Murray

KraigK

KraigK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Only if the mobo replacement is the exact same and going back into the same system. You aren't doing that so the install is illegal.

If the old system had XP on it before, use that cd to do the repair.

Murray

I already said the copy of XP is NOT OEM so I don't understand how this can be a problem. The Dell originally came with an OEM copy on it but was "upgraded" to a retail copy. It would be no different if I bought a copy of XP, built a computer, used it for years, then trashed it and built a new one with that copy. The retail copy is not married. I am using their copy of XP with their key to do the repair, but it didn't work out correctly, that's why I'm asking for help.

Anyway, I can see that these forums aren't for help but rather chastising.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello KraigK...

The issues you're having with your upgrade installation (the repair is actually an in-place upgrade) is not all that uncommon when dealing with OEM built machines. The Stop errors you're seeing will likely all be drivers and, once you get past one error, it will probably hang on the next one. An upgrade replaces system core files only and doesn't remove or replace the drivers already installed to the hard drive.

In my experience, your best option in this situation is to format the drive and do a clean install using your retail disk. As Murray S. has suggested, the Dell disk will not work for this...and would amount to piracy if it did work. Of course, this means that you won't be able to use that retail Windows license on another machine until it is removed from the machine you install it on...or the machine it's on ceases to function.

If there are important files on the drive, you may be able to recover them by slaving the drive in another machine or using the appropriate external enclosure to allow you to connect it to another machine via USB.

wannabe1

KraigK

KraigK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's a bummer, sounds like it'll end up being a big waste of time. But I did speak with my neighbor and we are going to build a new one, with Win7.

Last question, it does seem to boot into safe mode but it says setup is running. Any way to "cancel" that so I can at least get into safe mode so I can do some housekeeping before the wipe? I am also familiar with BartPE if that may help.

Thanks