Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Intermittent "Cannot Renew IP" - XP Pro and Server 2003

• Please log in to reply

idrawstuff

idrawstuff

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi!

We have no IT manager to discuss this with, and the person who set up our system is long gone, so please bear with me on this :)

I have a Compaq 6820s Laptop running XP Pro SP3 that works as my only workstation, as I spend a lot of time out of town. In the office, we have a server running Server 2003, which has eight stationary workstations (desktops) also running XP Pro SP3, that are always connected to the network. Mine is only physically connected to the network maybe 50% of the time I'm using it.

Typically after I've worked out of town for a few days, I come back into the office, plug in my Cat5 cable, log on to the network, synchronize, and I'm good to go, and my laptop behaves just like any other workstation on the network. I've been doing this for over a year now.

Just as of last week however, when I plug in my cable and turn on, once and awhile the laptop will tell me I have limited or no connectivity to the network. Sometimes a connection repair will do the trick. Sometimes, however, it tells me that it can't renew my IP address, and I'll have to reboot (once I had to reboot twice) before I can get a connection to the network. Once my connection was dropped in the middle of the afternoon, even though I'd been connected all day. My mobile workstation is the only workstation exhibiting this problem; the stationary workstations continue to connect to the network when they're turned on every morning without problem.

Right now, I'm actually connected to the network just fine, but when this happens again in the future, is there anything I could check to get to the root of the problem, and keep this from happening again?

Advertisements

William Pistulka

William Pistulka

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have you installed any new updates or service packs?
You may also want to look in the properties of the network card to see what the power settings are.
Perhaps, if is set to power savings mode and it is allowing the system to power down the card.
You can go into the event viewer and go back to a date when you knew things were ok and observe the system messages and warnings.
You can do a search on your computer for "event viewer" and it should get you to it.
Post here on if you installed anything. (Service Pack, System Updates etc)
Bill