Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What can problem be?

• Please log in to reply

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I was thinking of ordering some Crucial DDR2 ram from link you gave me, but now im not too sure... seams fishy that both my rams give out 1 after another...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nothing fishy about it. They are a electronic piece and on of the chips can be faulty or shorted out.
The system may have taken a spike in electric and the memory took the blunt of the shock.

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I guess... ill update this post in like 1-2weeks when i get new ram possible

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There is no doubt in my mind that the 2 gig memory module you have is bad.
The reason for the other freezing with one stick is there may be to much trying to run with just the one stick of 1 gig of memory.

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
CPU Family: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz Model 15, Stepping 11
CPU Speed: 1603ghz

shouldnt it be 2400 ghz?

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Can my computer run sli ram?

nVidia GeForce 7100

if that helps i think i have that

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
sli ram?
SLI is a capability of the MOBO to have two video cards in a system that work together.
Memory on a video card at least the newer ones is figured as
GDR2, GDR3 or GDR5
Ram memory is figured as
DDR
DDR2
DDR2 Dual Channel
DDR3
DDR3 Dual Channel
DDR3 Triple Channel

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
ok that didnt help i asked if it can run sli ram... like some ram is 2gb ddr2 corsair, and another will be SLI ocz 2gb ram... like can i run the ones that have sli on them?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If your MOBO is nvidia sli certified then yes you should be able to. The difference is the sli memory is suppose to run a bit faster. Since you mentioned OCZ I researched and found the following technical release from OCZ about their memory.

—New OCZ PC2-6400 Memory Modules are NVIDIA nForce SLI Certified resulting in better performance with select NVIDIA nForce motherboards—
The new OCZ PC2-6400 SLI-Ready Series is equipped with NVIDIA Enhanced Performance Profiles (EPP) to optimize the modules’ performance on nForce® SLI-based motherboards. OCZ exclusively engineered select high-performance modules with advanced SPD (Serial Presence Detect) settings to allow compatible motherboards to recognize and utilize the added information, ultimately increasing the performance potential of the entire platform.

OCZ PC2-6400 SLI-Ready memory modules are programmed to boot at 800MHz DDR2 with supremely fast timings of 4-4-4 1T. Only motherboards equipped with the custom-designed BIOS, such as those designed for NVIDIA nForce SLI MCPs, can detect the optimized SPD profiles and ensure the memory functions under the best possible conditions. The exclusive OCZ SPD specifications take out the guesswork and provide enthusiasts and gamers with significant overclocked performance with no manual adjustment or compatibility issues.

Each OCZ SLI-Ready module comes equipped with an exclusive NVIDIA XTC heatspreaders for the most efficient heat dissipation and a look that stands out like its performance. Additionally, all SLI-Ready memory is backed with toll-free technical support, the exclusive EVP (Extended Voltage Protection) coverage, and an industry leading Lifetime Warranty.

With the fusion of the sophisticated EPP memory specification and cutting-edge, high-speed OCZ DDR2 architecture, the PC2-6400 edition is the ultimate breakthrough for advanced SLI platform performance.

The speed difference is the only difference between regular DDR2 memory and SLI DDR2 memory. I'm not really sure if the price is more that I would spend the extra for a few seconds more faster memory.
To answer your question it looks like you can run it.

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Another question, my ram seams to have a warranty how would i find out how to send it in for new ram?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You would have to contact the company you bought it from or the manufacturer.

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
What would you think would be better ram

2GB DDR2 800 DIMM 5-5-5 (JETRAM) from Transcend
or
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model CM2X2048-6400C5

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Corsair memory is my choice.

dylan123

dylan123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
5-5-5-18 is that timing [bleep] or what?
Also i would like to know can i have 2 diff timings on my ram?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Timing yes and is that two different sticks of memory you are talking about with different timings?
Check this site out HERE as it explains the timings and what the different numbers mean.