Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2nd Hard Drive Fail & Login Problem

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, you used the correct cables. The flat ribbon cable is for IDE drives.

Not 100% sure but by all indications, I think the F drive is dead.

Advertisements

gbv750

gbv750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
If it's dead, then why does it sound "normal," i.e. I can hear it start up and run like my healthy C drive? And should I go ahead and get a data retrieval kit?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Just because the drive spins doesn't mean the other electronics are working. Not sure what "retrieval kit" you're referring to, but I would start looking into it if the data on the drive is important. If the drive isn't that old (possibly still under warranty), I would also contact Western Digital to see what they have to say. Normally, drive manufactures will just replace a warranted drive with a new/refurbished one, but if you talk to them, they may be able to repair your drive and return it to you with data intact.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE to the direct link to the WD warranty check page.
Enter the requested information to see if the drive is still under warranty.

gbv750

gbv750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I checked the warranty and it expired in June. The data retrieval kits I was referring to were all those services they advertise online where I could buy their software or kit (not sure which they are or how they work) and try to extract as much data as I can.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, as stated, if your data is important to you, then you should consider it.

gbv750

gbv750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is there a company that you recommend?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I've never had to do this, so I have no idea. Call WD first to see what they say. They may have a recommendation for you.

gbv750

gbv750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for your help. I sent cost request forms to a bunch of data recovery centers to see what they charge. In the meantime, I'd like to return to my C Drive problem. If you recall, I was locked out because of the password problem, and you suggested I get all the valuable data from it, which I have done. I assume that my next step is a clean re-install of XP? Do you recommend that I erase the drive via the external caddy before I hook it back up to my old computer and begin the reinstall?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Actually, the best method of formatting is by reinstalling the HDD into your computer and using the manufacture's format utility. I re-read the thread but couldn't find where you mentioned the make/model number of your C drive. If you post it, I can help you locate the utility. Or, you can just reinstall Windows and let it format the drive for you as you install... this will save you the time of going the manufacture's route.

Advertisements

gbv750

gbv750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Go HERE and download the Seagate Acronis DiskWizard... scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "I Accept". Save the app to your desktop and launch it once it completes the download. Once it launches, you will have the option to download the User Guide, so do so. Then install the program on the computer you're using right now. Note that you may need to connect the Seagate via your adapter to the computer you're typing on "prior' to launching the DiskWizard app, or it may grumble that there are no Seagate drives detected (unless of course the drive on the computer you're using also has a Seagate). Seagate makes great drives, by the way... it's the only drives I use in desktops!

Once you install the program, read the Chapter 7 of the User Guide to learn how to make a bootable Acronis application so you can format the problem C drive when you reinstall it into the other computer.

You could also format the problem C drive while it's connected via the adapter using the computer you're typing on, but be sure you follow the directions carefully so you don't end up formatting the WRONG hard drive! :)

If you run into any problems, let me know and I'll assist.