Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

TheBobT

TheBobT

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I currently can not start my computer without getting a (blue screen of death) stop error code: 0x0000007E. I can not even start it in safe mode. I believe this happened because I was on a site that tried to automatically download something but I could not cancle it, so I clicked yes believing that a box would popup asking if I wanted to proceed but it did not and the computer crashed and I have not been able to start it since.

If you have any ways to help I would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello TheBobT.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

Without knowing exactly what the file was that got downloaded then we have to do this the hard way.
Can you try booting with the last know good configuration?

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I can do neither of those. When I try to load to last good config it loads to the blue screen. When I try and load to the recovery consol it just gives me a black screen with a blinking dash in the top left of the screen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you get the blinking cursor did you try to type in the chkdsk /r command?

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yes, it does not let me type anything. After trying a few keys it starts to beep every time I hit a key.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK you are using a Genuine XP disk and not a recovery disk?

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Oh, you need the windows disc in the computer for it to work? Sorry I am woefully ignorant about many computer things. I do not have the origional but I ordered one from dell and I should be getting it in the mail tomorrow.

I apolagize, I completely did not read your first post correctly.

Edited by TheBobT, 02 November 2009 - 06:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem. We may just do a repair installation then if needed.
Just post when you have it and we will continue.

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Will do, I am just wondering, does a repair install leave the information on the Hard Drive intact and accessable? I am currently in the process of buying parts to build a new computer. I just have a lot of pictures and files that I do not want to lose on the old hard drive that, like a fool, I never backed up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you would like to backup those files you can do the following and in case we need to do a more drastic approach at least those files will be safe.

Get Puppy Linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock

Advertisements

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I was able to run the chkdsk /r it completed and said that it found and fixed one or more errors on the volume. It took 3 and a half hours to run. It does not give much more information than that and the sive of my disk space.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it took that long to complete there must be some serious issues with the drive itself.
I normally suggest running chkdsk /r again to make sure everything is repaired.
If you want to make sure that your hard drive is correct then I would suggest you do this again.

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I ran it again and it only took 2 hours to finish this time. It did not say anything about fixing anything this time.

I am currently downloading the puppy linux to save the data on the hard drive (hopefully).

I am looking at parts to build my own computer. I am wondering if there is a website or forum that you would suggest to run my build through for comments or suggestions.

My friend said that I should, " usb to SATA/IDE adapter to hot plug your hd into another computer that has its malware protection running, scan your hd and see what malware, if any, is found."

Is this a good idea or should I do something else?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We have a forum HERE named System Builds and Upgrades.
There we can help with suggestions and instructions.
If you want to start a topic there that is fine. If you would like we also have a great tutorial that was put together by a couple of our own techs located HERE
Yes you can do as your friend suggests.
Without being able to boot up the system that would be the only way to check it.
Before doing that I still suggest backing up your data first.

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I downloaded Puppy Linux 2.17.1 I figured it was an updated version. I can not find the iso file in it that I am supposted to open. The files in the zip were boot(security catalog), Boot (outlook item), ISOLINUX (Bin file), PUP_217.SFS, VMLINUZ, ZDRV_217.SFS

None of them are ISO files, what should I do from here?