Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I did not mean it that I am more comfortable with another guide, this guide is the most detailed one that I have seen, the author just likes to say, "pray, last resort, You'll need all the help you can get you brave souls." I found it more funny than anything else. I would go through the device manager but I have not been able to find it using puppy linux.

Contacting Belarc now.

thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have never had a issue with Puppy not loading a driver for a device.
Is there a special device you are worried about? Linux is different then Windows because it is a open source OS.
This means it can be updated by anyone and not dependent on one company to do it.

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
My problem is I have no idea where the device manager is located. I just can't find it. In normal windows I would just go through the system icon to the control panel and get to device manager that way to see everything that I have.

I am just trying to catalog all the hardware in the computer so that I will be able to download the drivers for them over the internet for when I reformat soon.

Nevermind, I think I may have found it, it was under the start menu, system then Xproc system information.

Edited by TheBobT, 05 November 2009 - 08:00 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I may have asked this before but forgot.
Is your system a name brand system and if so what make and model?
If not then we can deal with the drivers independently once OS is reinstalled.
If brand name I will find the drivers originally installed on the system for you.

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
It is a dell Dimension 8400. The only piece of hardware that I added to the machine is the video card which is now a Nvidia Geforce 7950 G/T 512mb

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I see where you are going, I forgot I can enter the service tag at dell.com

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Dell Support Direct Download drivers
Yep I'm a sneaky one huh? :) :) :) :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything you need in one stop shopping :) :)

TheBobT

TheBobT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for all your help! Windows is running, I have all my drivers, I have updated windows and IE. I am in the process of installing the rest of my programs and games.

Windows is asking for an anti virus scanner. I used to have MacAfee but it was terrible, are there any good free ones out there?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Avast Home edition free download and registration is free for a year. After that just reregister. Updates normally once a day. Smaller footprint so uses less system resources therefor it won't slow your system down.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's been about 18 hours since your last post. How is everything running?
Any BSOD's happening?
Any problems with drivers or programs not installing?
Speed of system is good?