Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan / Processor / or motherboard wont let me boot!

• Please log in to reply

blake2k

blake2k

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
;) Well my fans have been clogged up with dust i cleaned them out and they run smooth but that was after my comp stopped booting.

Its a pentium 3 600 mhz when I start it up the fans go on the drives seem to load seeing as the lights go on along with the network cards light but my monitor will not come and and I get a please check signal.. the monitor is fine.. the cpu just isnt booting my keyboard , mouse and the typical mother board start screen where it loads my nvram also doesnt show..

I have taking everything apart cleaned and put it back together
I obviously need some parts which I will buy with my next cheque..

The problem is figuring out what exactly is causing this boot problem..

Does a fan that is spinning fast as possible not cooling alright? now that its clean..

Could it be my main Pc Battery?? some kind of cmos problem?? not enough power?

Could the pentium 3 chip be damaged?? it has like a box that comes out a little and then the metal peice that the fan connects to has like a little box that fits in the square cut out.. does this have to be like 0.2 centimeters on the dot or else??

And as for the motherboard if that was caked why would it start the fans
the cd rom drive network card
and just make the drives lights blink twice?? every like 4 seconds?
I thought if the mother board [bleep] the bed the power button wouldnt work??

So all and all im guessing its time for a new fan and a new processor cause I give up im stumped ive tryed everything

what do you all think ??????? :) :tazz: ;) :)

Edited by blake2k, 15 May 2005 - 07:36 PM.

Advertisements

Salient

Salient

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi, Welcome to the Geeks to Go forums.

It's very likely that the problem is caused by a dirty connection inside the computer's box. As time goes by airborne household dust, dirt, cooking oils, etc ... can slowly migrate into the connections and cause the problem you described.

The proper way to diagnose a problem, such as yours, would be to clean all internal connections. This can be done by just removing and reinserting all cables, cards, memory and so forth in their sockets. This scrubs the connections clean.

If that doesn't fix the problem, or change the symptoms, then all cards, except the video card, are temporally removed. If the computer starts running, each card is put back in, (one at a time), if there is a bad card, (such as a bad sound card), when that card is reinstalled the computer won't boot, so you now know what particular card is bad.

If the computer won't run with all except the video card removed, then even the video card is removed. With all cards removed the computer is started; the internal speaker should beep, to inform you that there is no video card. If this happens, you can bet the main board (mother board) is OK and you might have a bad video card.

I would also look a little closer at the monitor - i had a Sony Trinetron give me the same check cable message before and the monitor was actually dying.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you got a slot 1 CPU or a flipchip one? (Slot 1 is the black rectangular plastic cartridge looking one while flipchip is flat & square & sits in a white socket on the mobo)