Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD in Safe Mode, Can't boot Windows XP Normal or From Disk

• Please log in to reply

magnificentbird

magnificentbird

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi.

I've been reading forums all night and have seen this problem all over the place, a lot of it happening in the last few weeks. I'm possibly thinking its a spyware problem or a virus.

So, last week I had a problem. I had gotten some spyware that deleted some dlls or something to that degree and prevented me from going into safemode. I did a system restore to a week prior, and was then able to go into safe mode and used Superantispyware and Malwarebytes to kill the spyware. I didn't have another problem until today.

Today, I was using a web-browser to watch a TV show (nfl) online, and I got a random BSOD. It gave the typical generic recommendations about adequate disk space and driver-video adapters and a code ending in Ox804FB03c. Then I rebooted expecting to go back into safe mode to try another search, but it would blue screen on a normal boot and in attempting to go into safe mode. I saw this : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OK_EQUAL.

I took out my RAM one by one to see if it was a problem : BSOD prevails.
I took out my network card and video card and a second HD. Still BSOD on safe mode and on normal boot.

I put in an XP cd to boot from disk and went into the BIOS to set it to boot from the CD first. It does boot from the CD but I never get the option to press "R" or anything like that I see recommended in most of the forums. The "Press any key to boot from cd" option comes up - I press a Key and it immediately starts cranking through a series of files that appear on the bottom. Finally, it also blue screens. I've seen a lot of people posting about these problems in the last week or so with the same exact things happening. I have a DELL Inspiron 530 if that helps.

Any ideas?

Advertisements