Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't Display PDF Files

• Please log in to reply

rmbaird27

rmbaird27

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was forced to buy a computer from a thrift store. (Money and times issues. Not an option to do anything else.) It runs Win98, and has QuickTime 6.5. When I try to view PDF files, I received an error message saying that it "couldn't display (file name) because a suitable graphics importer can't be found."

I did some poking around, and found RegCure, which I thought might help. It didn't. I've tried to find a "suitable graphics importer" but so far, no luck. I don't know what I am looking for.

I am in school full time. Desperately need this computer to be operational. The school can provide me with WinXP, but I can't DL it on this unit. My computer guys tell me 64 bit and 32 bit are not compatible. I don't think that would solve my graphics importer problem anyway.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Comments? Yes, I know you get what you pay for. I am a single mom, unemployed, no income. No options. My computer guys say I should buy a better unit. If I could afford to, I would not have gone the route I did.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi rmbaird27 and welcome to Geeks to Go.

I will try and help you with your problem.
I assume that you have adobe pdf viewer.

If all you are trying to do is view pdf files then I suggest using Foxit reader.

Foxit<__<__<__This is version 3. I do not see anything where version 3 will work on 98.
I put it here so you can try it.
If version 3 does not work, then try this next link for an earlier version. What I have found is that version 2 will work on windows 98.
Foxit earlier versions

Its a free download and reads everything Adobe reads.
It is also not as resource hungry as Adobe is.

Have you tried uninstalling adobe and then re-installing it.
Acrobat (adobe)reader is at version 9, but I do not believe it is supported under win 98
Adobe reader old versions

As for updating your windows 98 to XP, it probably won't work. We would have to get deeper in to what you exactly have. It most likely would not meet the minimum specs required.
And a 64 bit OS will not go on a 32 bit system.

As a preventitive, I would like to ask what you are using for a virus scanner and a firewall.

123runner